Do you want to have kissable and amazing breath all the time? Here are 10 ways on how you can make your breath smelling good not only during the holidays but all the time.
- Eat Properly – It is best that you go for a low-carb diet with proteins and fats. The smell that comes from Ketones which is a by-product of fats can go back up from the esophagus and remain in your tongue which is why it is essential that you add carbohydrates such as sweet potatoes, broccoli, and even fresh fruits to help balance the fat and to help make your breath smell good. You should also add vegetables as well since they help maintain the alkaline environment which can help get rid of the acid that causes bad breath. Munch or snack on carrots, apples, and celeries since their hard texture can help dislodge any debris in between your teeth as well as get rid of any bacteria that remains in the mouth and tongue. You can also chew on fresh parsley or mint since they can make your breath smell fresh.
- Brush and Floss Every Day – Are you aware that aside from brushing your teeth, you should also floss daily? One of its benefits is that it can help remove any debris in between your teeth that your toothbrush can’t get to. If you’re not flossing, the food trapped between your teeth will feed the germs that are growing in your mouth and the more bacteria there is, the more acids there will be that can cause your breath to smell.
- Gargle with Mouthwash that has Zinc Compound and Alcohol-Free – Saliva can help wash away any cavity and odor which is why it is essential that you maintain the moisture levels in your mouth. Alcohol, on the other hand, can dry your mouth which can lead to more bacteria growth. This is one of the reasons why Dr. Glassman recommends using a natural mouthwash that doesn’t have any alcohol content by combining a few drops of peppermint essential oil, a cup of warm water, and a tablespoon of baking soda. Since baking soda is alcohol-free and has antibacterial properties, you’ll be able to make your breath smell fresh even when you don’t have any mouthwash.
- Always have Breath Freshener or Gel on Hand – If you need to freshen your breath fast, take breath gel or freshener that has xylitol, eucalyptol, zinc chloride, and vitamin C, which are essential in providing you with fresh breath as well as promote healthy gums. You can also chew mints that have the same ingredients.
- Keep Your Appointment with the Dentist – You shouldn’t wait for halitosis to occur before you visit your dentist.
- Drink More Water – One of the benefits of drinking water is that it helps with the lubrication in the mouth to keep bacteria accumulation at bay. Bottled drinks such as sports drinks, sodas, and iced tea contain citric acid which, aside from contributing to foul breath, can also wear away your teeth’s enamel. Soda is the most acidic and can actually dissolve the walls of your teeth which is why you need to minimize your intake and instead replace it with water.
- Reduce Coffee Intake but Increase Green Juice Intake – Green juice has low acid levels as opposed to coffee that contains high acid levels that are linked to having bad breath. What’s important that you maintain your body’s alkaline levels instead of the acidity since it will help make your body function better.
- Clean Your Tongue – That bad smell in your mouth can also be caused by bacteria growing in your taste buds. The good news is that you can get rid of bacteria, plaque, and even any byproducts of bacteria by brushing your teeth or using a tongue scraper.
- Chew Sugarless Gum that has Xylitol – Keep in mind that the goal here is to produce more saliva to get rid of bacteria but make sure that when you chew gum that it is free from sugar so you won’t be adding to the bacteria build up in your mouth. You should also look for gum that has xylitol since it can help fight bacteria and cavities so you’ll have healthier teeth and gums.
- Stop Smoking – Aside from making your mouth dry, the nicotine found in cigarettes can actually hinder your production of saliva which is just one of the disadvantages of smoking. This combination is actually one of the reasons why you have bad breath. The best way to avoid this is to quit smoking or don’t even start at all.