UTI or urinary tract infection is a common health problem that can occur in both men and women with the latter more likely to acquire this illness. Among the common causes of UTI include pregnancy, sexual intercourse, waiting for a while before urinating, diabetes, and menopause.
There are signs and symptoms associated with this health issue. Among these are passing small amounts of urine, frequent need to urinate, change in the color of urine, burning sensation when urinating, vomiting, nausea, as well as fever.
When UTI is detected, it must be treated immediately to avoid damaging the kidneys. Aside from traditional treatments, there are some home remedies that can be used to alleviate urinary tract infection.
1. D-Mannose. This type of sugar is found in fruits such as apples, cranberries, blueberries, and even birch tree. What this indigestible sugar does is act like a magnet attracting E.Coli to it before being flushed out of your body. It’s safe to use for women who are pregnant, children, and even nursing mothers.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar. This is another useful home remedy that can help treat UTI. Apple cider vinegar contains potassium, enzymes, and other essential minerals that are handy when it comes to treating UTI. Get a glass of water and add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. You can add lemon juice if you like with honey to minimize the taste of ACV. Drink this twice in a few days.
3. Cranberry Extract. If you want to prevent urinary tract infection, cranberry extract is the one to take. What this extract does is to stop E.coli from attaching itself to the lining of the urinary tract as well as walls of the bladder. Although you can opt for cranberry juice minus the sugar, it still contains fructose which can lessen its effects.
4. Indian Gooseberry or Amla. This home remedy contains high amounts of vitamin C which is useful in preventing urinary tract infection. Prepare a cup of water then add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of Indian Gooseberry. Boil until half remains. Drink this solution three times within three to five days.
5. Fermented Cod Liver Oil. It contains high amounts of natural occurring vitamin A and vitamin D. Vitamin A helps strengthen your body’s cells making them more resistant to bacteria. Vitamin D, on the other hand, helps with the production of peptides that are anti-microbial which help combat fungi, bacteria, and viruses.
6. Baking Soda. Adding one teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water and drinking twice in a day can help increase the acid-base balance of your acidic urine to help minimize or even eliminate pain. By eliminating the acidity in your urine, you’ll be well on your way to recovery.
7. Blueberries. Blueberries are known for their ability to inhibit bacteria in your body which can aid in treating and preventing urinary tract infection. Also, the antioxidant properties in this fruit can help boost your immune system while at the same time preventing bacteria from growing. You can either add blueberries to your breakfast cereals or make blueberry juice so you can drink it morning, afternoon, and at night. Just make sure that you avoid adding any artificial sweeteners to get the full benefit of blueberries.
8. Tea Tree Oil. Bladder infections can be alleviated with the help of tea tree oil. You can use it by adding 10 drops of the oil to your bath water and use it wash your urethra. Another way to treat UTI is to soak in warm water with 6 drops of tea tree oil and 2 teaspoons of yogurt. Soak for 10 minutes and repeat for 10 days.
9. Pineapple. If you fancy eating pineapple then you’ll be glad to know that it can help minimize symptoms of urinary tract infection. This is due to the presence of Bromelain which is an enzyme containing anti-inflammatory properties that reduce UTI symptoms. You can also take it along with the antibiotics prescribed by your doctor.
10. Uva Ursi. This herb has several substances that are useful in fighting infections including UTIs. Several of the chemicals found in Uva Ursi are known for their antiseptic properties. You can purchase this herb in drugstores. When you take this supplement, it will help stimulate urination while at the same time kill any bacteria found in your body.