If you want to shed pounds, the key to making it possible is by keeping yourself relaxed. When you are in a relaxed state, you are able to do things on a positive note.
However, it is noticeable that those persons who want to lose weight but are under the spell of stress continue to gain more pounds. It is because of their inability to relax that makes their diet program fail. Whenever you are stressed, you are susceptible to eat more, making you an emotional eater.
The culprit? Too much secretion of cortisol in the body when faced under stressful situation motions us to crave more and weigh more. The common side effect of extra cortisol in our body is increased appetite because our bodies need added energy to cope with stress.
Constant hunger is dangerous to one’s health. It makes cortisol to direct pounds and stores in the abdomen instead at the hips, making us susceptible to heart disease and stroke.
To alleviate hunger, eating provides instant satisfaction especially after having a hard day at work. However, do not allow yourself to be an instant food captive. Eat smart by choosing healthy foods to relax you. Instant foods may offer comfort but after a while, it fades away and replaced by distress, regret and sadness.
To release stress caused by hunger, we list down the foods that helps you lighten your mood as well as manage your weight whenever you are experiencing stressful moments.
- Salmon – Salmon has omega-3 fatty acids that have been linked to better mood. If you replace red meat with salmon, it can help in maintaining a healthy body weight.
- Spinach – Popeye the Sailor Man’s energy boosting food, this hearty green is rich in magnesium. If you have inadequate amount of this important mineral, you end up feeling tired, irritable and foggy. Spinach is rich in vitamins A, B, C, and an excellent source of iron as well as protein that pumps up energy levels. A research has reported that spinach may boost weight loss by reducing craving for sweets and salty junk food.
- Tuna Sandwich – Similar to salmon, tuna is also high in omega 3 while whole grain bread helps in keeping you feel good. These prompt the body to release the mood-regulation hormone, serotonin, leading you to feel contented. Whole grains promote satiety, so you will feel full that prevents you from overeating.
- Blueberries – The purple color of blueberries come from anthocyanin, a great mood enhancer. This fruit is high in fiber and water, making you feel full for a longer time.
- Dark chocolate – A one-ounce of square dark chocolate is the perfect portion to get its mood boosting and health satisfying benefits. Dark chocolate’s polyphenol boosts one’s mood. It also lowers blood pressure.
- Orange – This citrus fruit is filled with vitamin C, an antioxidant that has been shown to help recover quickly from stress.
- Celery – Celery has a chemical that lowers the concentration of stress hormones in the blood, relaxing the constricted vessels.
- Greek yogurt – Yogurt releases brain chemicals such as dopamine and norepinephrine that make you feel good. It also revs up energy levels and alertness. This creamy dairy food is also helpful in weight loss because eating 18 ounces of Greek yogurt daily helps you shed pounds.
- Cherry Tomato – This fruit is rich in lycopene, which slows down the accumulation of inflammation compounds that are linked to bad moods and feelings of sluggishness. This bite-size fruit is low in calorie, keeping you on track with your weight loss plan.
- Rosemary – The herb’s fragrant oil, whether used topically or to season food, stimulates circulation and acts as anti-irritant. It also boosts memory.
- Flaxseed – Eating ground flaxseed is better than eating its seed whole for it makes it easier to digest. This great source of lignans, plant estrogens may soothe mood swings and help avert overeating.