Ever heard or tried Kerson Fruit or Muntingia calabura? This tart cherry like flavor fruit is a fast growing tree that has a cherry like fruit that grows in Mexico, Philippines, Haiti, Cuba, Japan, South America, Indonesia, Carribean, India and Dominican republic. It is known in the states as Strawberry Tree, Panama berry, Bajelly tree, Singapore cherry and Jamican cherry.
Here are amazing health benefits of the Kerson fruit:
1. Kerson leaves can be made into tea and will make a great pain blocker because they block pain receptor, a good antinociceptive agent similar to opiates.
2. Tea made of the leaves lowers blood pressure as well because of the nitric oxide content which relaxes blood vessels thus improving blood flow. 3. The flowers of the tree boiled for tea are a good antiseptic agent and also works well for treating abdominal cramps.
4. Kerson Fruit also lowers blood sugar.
5. The leaves contain antioxidants, made into tea protect the heart from heart attacks, because it prevents inflammation which leads to myocardial infarction.
6. Munching on the fruit and drinking tea made of the leaves works great for curing headaches.
7. Other than fiber, Kerson Fruit has a lot of vitamins and minerals like carbs, protein, calcium and phosphorus for strong bones, water, iron for anemia, and B-Vitamins for vitality and good mood. Also rich in Vitamin C, a potent antioxidant fighting colds, flue and even cardiovascular disease. 100g of fruit has 150mgs of vitamin C.
8. Over the centuries many countries used Kerson Fruit to stop the pain associated with gout. Consuming 9 to 12 of the cherries three times a day seems to work well for treating the pain.
9. The Kerson cherry contains many powerful antibacterial compounds too, making it a new source of antibacterial agents, good for treating Staph infections, S. Epidemidis, P. vulgaris, K. Rhizophil, C. Diptheriae and other bacteria. This is important when we have so many antibiotic resistant bacteria.
10. The leaves can be used as tea for treating inflammation and swelling and for lowering fevers. as well.
11. The leaves have been studied and show great anticancer abilities and may be used more extensively in the future for treating cancer.
12. Kerson Fruit and leaves contain lots of antioxidants in fact over 24 flavonoid and phenolic compounds like that found in green tea… plus saponin compounds.