Sinuses are cavities within the skull connected to the nasal cavities. When mucus build-up blocks the aperture of the sinus, it results into a viral/bacterial infection, called sinusitis.
|Two Types of Sinusitis|
|Chronic Sinusitis – Continues for 12 weeks or for years.
Acute Sinusitis – Lasts up to 4 weeks
|Cold and flu, food allergies, environmental allergies, dental infection, fungal infection in the sinus cavity, tobacco and pollution, and/or excessive intake of dairy products|
|Discomfort and weakness, fever, pain behind the eyes, sore throat, facial pain and pressure, nasal congestion/runny nose, and/or thick discolored discharge of mucus|
- Vinegar: To remove the mucus blockage, pour a tablespoon of vinegar in boiling water and inhale the steam.
- Aromatherapy: To relieve sinus congestion, add a few drops of lavender, eucalyptus, or peppermint essential oil in a bowl of hot water. Inhale the steam.
- Cumin Seeds: Tie a spoonful of cumin seeds in a thin cotton cloth. Fill a pan with water, dip the cloth into it, and add a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil. Heat the pan, and then inhale the vapors.
- Basil Leaves: Mix little honey with a paste of basil leaves. Eat this safe mixture every morning.
- Eucalyptus Oil: To clear the congestion, add a few drops of eucalyptus oil in warm water. Bathe with the water.
- Fenugreek: Boiling a cup of water mixed with a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds, then straining and drinking it warm is an effective remedy.
- Warm Water: A solution of warm water mixed with ½ teaspoon of salt cures a sore throat, which is caused by sinus drainage. Gargle.
- Keep Your Head Elevated while Sleeping: When the head is elevated while sleeping, the mucus will draw out.
- Humidify the Air: Using a humidifier in the room you’re in gives you relief from the congestion of mucus.
- Onion: Boil chopped onions for 5 minutes. Inhale the steam for a few minutes. When the mixture is warm, you may drink it if you wish. Onion has antibacterial properties.
- Use a Warm Compress: Cover the nose, cheeks, and eyes with a warm compress to relieve facial pain and pressure.
- Sandalwood, Cucumber, and Neem Paste: Make a paste with these three ingredients and eat for a soothing relief.
- Sweet Tea and Basil Leaves: Make a paste and apply regularly to cure sinus infection.
- Cucumber Juice and Carrot: Drink cucumber juice with carrot regularly.
- Garlic: Apply honey on crushed garlic and eat. The antibacterial properties of garlic unclog the sinus cavities.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Mix 2 spoons of this vinegar along with a teaspoon of honey in 6 ounces of water. Continuously drink this mixture three times a day for 5 days.
- Neti Pot: Dissolve a teaspoon of sea salt in two cups of lukewarm water. Empty the solution into a neti pot. Place the tip of the spout at one of your nostrils, tilt your head sideways and allow the water to exit from the other nostril. Repeat for the other nostril.
- Cayenne Pepper: Including cayenne pepper in your diet opens up sinuses.
- Horseradish: Put a pinch of grated radish in your mouth and let it remain for a few minutes before spitting it out. This is to dissolve the mucus.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract: Save the best for last; grapefruit is last on the list. The extract contains antifungal properties and acts as a natural antibiotic. The market sells this as a nasal spray.
|Quit smoking, take lots of rest, avoid getting into close contact with someone who has flu, stay indoors if you have a sinus, keep yourself hydrated, take vitamins A and C along with zinc supplements, and/or consume spicy foods to clear the congestion.|