Having an itchy scalp can be irritating and embarrassing. Itchy scalp can be caused by poor hygiene or a skin condition.
Serious Skin Conditions:
- Fungal Infection
Itchy scalp can also be caused by environmental factors such as the weather, pollution and humidity. Avoid scratching your head like a monkey with natural, easy to find remedies.
Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp
- – Removes dandruff and itchiness in the scalp.
- Witch hazel – Reduces inflammation and irritation in the scalp.
- Lemon Juice – Apply lemon juice into the scalp to reduce dandruff.
- Tea tree oil – Remove bacteria and itchiness on the scalp with tea tree oil. Use baby shampoo with a few drops of tea tree oil to wash your hair until the itchiness disappears.
- Olive Oil – Heat up olive oil in bowl and let it cool down. Apply the oil on the scalp and massage for 15 minutes. Wrap your head with a towel or a cap for 10 minutes. Remove the towel and sleep with it on. Do this 2 times a week.
- Strawberry Mask – Make a scalp strawberry mask to remove irritation in the scalp. Mix coconut oil, honey and strawberry to make a paste. Let it sit for 15 minutes, then rinse.
- Fenugreek seed – Soak fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Strain it, and make a paste with the seeds and lemon juice. Apply on the scalp, let it sit for an hour then rinse.
- Coconut oil – Massage clean scalp with coconut oil and let it sit for 30 minutes. Shampoo hair and rinse. Do this 3 times a week to get relief from itchy scalp.
- Curd and Lemon juice – Mix 4 tablespoon of curd with lemon juice to make a moisturizing scalp mask.
- Mayonnaise – Add mayonnaise, olive oil and broccoli puree in a bowl and mix. Massage this mixture on the scalp and rinse off.
- Camphor – Mix 5 grams of camphor to 20 grams of coconut oil. Apply this mixture on the scalp for 30 minutes and rinse off.
- Baking Soda – Create a paste with baking soda and water, set aside. Massage some olive oil on the scalp for 10 minutes, then apply the baking soda paste fro 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water.
- Margosa Oil – massage the scalp with Margosa oil to relieve itchy scalp.
- Chamomile Tea – Use cooled down chamomile tea and gently apply it on the scalp. Let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse off.
- Jojoba oil – hydrate dry scalp by massaging jojoba oil for 5 minutes on the scalp. Sleep with the oil on and shampoo in the morning.
- Oats – Mix a tablespoon of oats, fresh milk and almond oil. Use this mixture to massage the scalp. Let it sit for 30 minutes, then gently shampoo the mixture off.
- Honey – Add banana to a tablespoon of honey to create a nourishing scalp mask. Apply this mixture on the scalp for 20 minutes, rinse off and shampoo your hair.
- Juniper Berries – Boil in water a half cup of crushed juniper berries. Let that mixture cool. Apply on the scalp and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Bay leaves – Boil crushed bay leaves on 2 cups of water. Use the strained mixture on the scalp for 30 minutes then rinse.
- Bananas and Avocado – mash together banana and avocado to remove dandruff. Use this mixture on the scalp for 30 minutes and rinse off thoroughly. Do this once a week.
- Essential oils – Mix jojoba oil, rosemary oil, sage oil, and carrot oil on your scalp. Steam your hair with a warm towel for 15 minutes. Sleep with the oil on and wash in the morning.
- Apple cider vinegar – kill bacteria and infections with diluted apple cider vinegar. Spray the mixture on the scalp and massage gently. Leave it in for 15 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
- Vegetable oil – Mix vegetable oil and tea tree oil on the scalp for 5 minutes. Shampoo the hair after.
- Aloe Vera Gel – Apply Aloe Vera gel on the scalp to get relief from itchiness.
- Peppermint oil – Apply and massage, peppermint oil on the scalp to get relief from the burning sensation and itchiness.
Prevent itchy scalp by washing and conditioning your hair twice a week, drinking 8 glasses of water and Eating healthy foods. Avoid tying your hair wet, don’t scratch your head even if you need to, Don’t color or straighten your hair at home if you are sensitive to hair products and do not wash your hair with hot water.