Dental plaque is a film of bacteria or mucus that sits on the surface of your teeth. It constantly forms each time you eat, most especially if you love to consume lots of sugary foods and beverages. Dental plaque is the primary cause of problems such as cavities and gum diseases like gingivitis and periodontitis.
It is said that the mouth is the dirtiest part of the body because it is full of bacteria. This is the reason why dental plaque is constantly forming. Especially after eating, bacteria acts upon particles of food left in your mouth and cause dental plaque to form. Because it is acidic in nature, dental plaque can erode the enamel — the protective coating of the teeth — causing the formation of cavities. Additionally, dental plaque can irritate the gums. This may lead to problems such as gingivitis, periodontitis and ultimately tooth loss! Indeed, it is important to have dental plaque removed.
So how do you get rid of dental plaque? First, try to limit your consumption of sugary foods and beverages. Second, brush your teeth at least twice a day to effectively remove dental plaque on the surface of your teeth. Third, floss on a regular basis to help deal with dental plaque on certain areas that your toothbrush cannot reach, such as between the teeth and under the gumline.
Certainly, it is very important to pay the dentist a visit. Generally speaking, it’s a good idea to step foot in the dental clinic once a year. But in between visits, there’s something that you may do at home (aside from the proper oral hygiene practices mentioned above) to make sure that dental plaque is removed very well. In fact, it can be done in 5 simple ways. Read on to know the simple recipes for these homemade dental plaque-busting solutions.
The graininess of powdered walnut shell can help in scrubbing off dental plaque without damaging the enamel.
- 30 grams of powdered walnut shell
- In a small pot, combine walnut shell and water. Bring to a boil for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Dip your toothbrush in the solution and brush your teeth gently. Do it 2 to 3 times a day.
This particular DIY remedy for stubborn dental plaque requires no cooking on the stove.
- 4 teaspoons of sunflower seeds
- 4 teaspoons of lime flower
- 1 liter of water
- In a large pot, combine your sunflower seeds, lime flower and water.
- Cover and let steep for about 30 minutes.
- Dip your toothbrush in the solution and brush your teeth, preferably after having a meal.
Do take note that you should refrain from doing this solution more than once a week to prevent your enamel from being eroded.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Place about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in your mouth. Gargle with it and spit.
- Reach for a soft-bristled toothbrush and gently brush your teeth.
- Immediately rinse your mouth thoroughly with water.
This particular recipe for dental plaque removal at home may require some special ingredients, but the results can be very impressive.
- 3 tablespoons of mountain wormwood leaves
- 4 deciliter of fermented wine
- In a container large enough to accommodate 4 deciliter of fermented wine, combine the ingredients.
- Mix and cover. Allow everything to steep for a couple of hours.
- Afterwards, strain.
- Use the liquid for brushing your teeth as necessary.
This is perhaps the simplest solution to dental plaque as most homes have a container of baking soda in them.
- Baking soda
- Wet your toothbrush.
- Dunk it in a container of baking soda.
- Gently brush your teeth.