Losing weight becomes harder every year and for women who are in their 40s, coaxing that extra number on the weighing scale is going to be tough for sure. Saying no to another helping of your favorite dinner and skipping on sweets are all well and good but how come you are still struggling with zipping up your pants and your energy levels are not the same as before?
The problem lies with our metabolism because it tends to slow down as we age. Add to this hormonal and body changes then you’ll find it will take a lot of effort just to eliminate those excess pounds. The good news is that there are steps that you can take that will help you shed those extra weight and among these are the ones listed below.
- Relearn your body. It’s easy for us to burn those excess calories when we were in our twenties but as we age, our body changes. This means that you will need to relearn your body’s rhythm so you will know when to adapt. Pay attention to the changes in your weight especially from the previous year. Jot down those times when your weight went up and think back on what you were doing back then. This way, you can make the necessary changes to your habits and diet.
- Lower your stress levels. Even though you are eating right and that you spend time working out, if your stress levels are still high, you won’t be able to lose weight at all. If your cortisol levels are up, it can trigger inflammation and even cause those fats to accummulate in your midsection. Now is actually the perfect time to look for ways to de-stress such as signing up for yoga, meditate, or even try out a new sport.
- Adjust your eating routine. Since your body is undergoing changes, such as your metabolism slowing down, you will need to learn how to adjust your eating habits. When you’re in your 40s, eating like you are in your 20s is not going to cut it. The best solution to keep hunger at bay is to break down your meals into smaller ones. Eating 5 to 6 small meals in a day will help keep your blood sugar level steady so that you will have energy throughout the day.
- Bring balance to your estrogen. The estrogen levels in women often get out of whack as they age which is why you need to take steps to help regulate them. You should minimize your alcohol consumption, change your meals to high protein, low carb diet, and try to add fish or take fish oil supplements for your omega-3s.
- Enlist your muscles. Another step that you can take to lose weight when you are in your 40s is to gain more muscles. Truth be told, building more muscles means the better your metabolism will work in burning more calories. Strength training is a must not just because it will help you get your heart rate up but it will also keep your skin taut and supple plus it will increase your energy levels too.