You’ve probably heard about clean eating but don’t know how or where to start. Clean eating is basically shifting to foods that are considerably healthy compared to your current diet. This means that you will be eating more vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean meat, and the like to ensure that you are getting sufficient nutrients into your system. This also pertains to reducing your consumption of refined sugar, salt, and even unhealthy fats so that you will be in the best health at all times. So how will you start clean eating? Here are a few tips to consider.
- Identify what clean eating is for you. Clean eating comes with a host of interpretation based on individuals. Identifying what clean eating means for you is a good way to start healthy eating practices. This can be something simple as reducing intake of refined sugar and carbohydrates, or even upping your consumption of fiber, protein, and the like.
- Reduce processed foods. Most of us follow a diet that consists mainly of processed foods as they are already pre-packaged and ready for cooking which is convenient for our busy schedule. Unfortunately, processed foods don’t contain much nutrients which is why you need to reduce your consumption of them. A better option would be to stock your pantry with healthy food choices such as fermented foods, vegetables, fruits, whole grains and the like.
- Indulge once in a while. There is nothing wrong with indulging yourself every once in a while but you need to clarify how often will this be. If your idea of occasional indulgence is once every day then you need to find a way to avoid this or at least put a few days in between until the next time you treat yourself.
- Limit your consumption of saturated fats. Not all fats are bad for your health. Monounsaturated fats are among those that are actually good for your health. Saturated fats, on the other hand, belong to the fats that you need to reduce consumption or avoid altogether as these can clog your veins and increase your risk of heart problems. Swap saturated fats with healthier options such as canola oil and olive oil to raise your good cholesterol levels.
- Invest in a cooler. If you are trying to practice clean eating, a good step to take is to invest in a cooler which you can bring you with you wherever you go. Simply pile it up with healthy snacks like apples, salads, and such and add some ice packs so they will keep for hours.
- Minimize alcohol intake. Reducing your alcohol intake is a must when it comes to clean eating as it will help save your liver significantly. If you often drink alcoholic beverages, it is high time that you reduce your intake to lower the amount of calories that you are putting into your body.
- Avoid too much salt. Another tip to clean eating is making sure that your consumption of foods high in salt will be reduced. Too much salt can actually hurt you because it can cause your blood pressure to spike. A good place to start with this is to reduce your consumption of processed foods as stated above.
- Give yourself time. Jumping on the clean eating bandwagon is all well and good but you need to give yourself time to adjust as ditching the foods that you normally eat won’t be that easy to do. By making small changes to your diet, you will be able to ease into a clean diet without any hitch.