Ampalaya also known as Bitter Melon/Bitter Gourd is a long green vegetable that has gourd like bumps. This vegetable is known for its bitter taste.
There are two types of ampalaya, the long oblong pale green one and the smaller oval dark green one. Both of these types have white or red seeds depending on their ripeness. The darker the color of the seed the bitter it is. Ampalaya is home to tropical countries in South America and Asia. It is popular in Asian countries for its multiple health benefits. It is widely known in Asia as a treatment for Diabetes and is now used as a traditional medicine for it. It is commercially available in markets as juices, pills teas and extracts.
For years now researchers have focused on the health benefits of Ampalaya. Their goal is to give an accurate and safe way to use ampalaya for our health. Below are the top ten Health benefits you can get from Ampalaya.
- Relieves Cold – coughing and fever from a cold can be treated by ampalaya. It works well as an anti-inflammatory in the respiratory system. It can treat chest congestion and mucus accumulation.
- Disinfectant – Ampalayas have a powerful antibiotic characteristic that can treat bacteria. It can be used as a disinfectant for minor burns, wounds, cuts and scrapes.
- Lowers Blood Sugar Levels – Ampalaya has always been known to fight diabetes. It can lower the level of blood sugar and prevent other maladies caused by high blood sugar.
- Immunity Booster – Ampalayas have the ability to remove free radical in the body and protect the body from infections that can cause tissue and organ damage.
- Lowers Blood Pressure – It can relax the vascular system that can assist in lowering blood pressure. This allows the body to function more smoothly. Lowering blood pressure is important for people who are high risk of stroke and heart attacks
- Headache Relief – Muscles around the brain when pressured can cause headaches. Taking ampalaya can release this pressure and relieve the pain caused by headaches. Stress can cause this pressure but can be treated by ampalaya by relieving tension and stress.
- Improves Psoriasis – people who suffer from psoriasis that consumed amplayas have shown significant improvement. Consuming the bitter juice of the amplayas can help in other fungal related infection such as athletes’ foot and fungi.
- Spleen and Liver Protection – alcohol abuse and toxins can damage the liver and spleen. Using ampalayas can help in generating and repairing tissues in the body that was damaged by toxins and abuse. Enzymes from Ampalayas helps to maintain proper liver and spleen function.
- Weight Control – Yes, Amapalayas can help you shed off unwanted pounds. Obesity comes hand in hand with serious health risk, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems and more. A study was done that shows juice from ampalaya can prevent fat cells from forming. A great healthy alternative to weight loss is consuming employees.
- Helps with Eye problem – Ampalaya contains high beta-carotene and other minerals known for eye health.