Shiny and red, it’s quite undeniable that cherries are some of the most attractive fruits on the planet. Other than being eye-catching, did you know that these fruits are also teeming with nutrients and plant-based compounds, making them highly beneficial for the mind and body? Continue reading why cherries is worthy of that very important place on top of your salad.
1. Cherries are low in calories and fat. Munching on them is perfect for individuals who wish to maintain their ideal weight or shed off a few pounds. Together with regular exercise, the consumption of cherries can help you slim down.
2. Cherries help delay aging and prevent the appearance of premature aging signs. That’s because cherries is an excellent source of antioxidants that stop those excess free radicals from damaging your cells and speeding up the aging process.
3. Those antioxidants are also good at reducing your risk of having cancer. Free radicals that antioxidants neutralize also promote cell mutation, something that can cause cancerous cells in vital organs like the pancreas, brain and liver.
4. Melatonin in cherries makes these super foods the perfect for people constantly bugged by insomnia. Melatonin is the very same chemical or hormone released by the brain, in particular the one that regulates your body’s sleep-wake cycle.
5. Plant pigments in cherries called anthocyanins promote superb cardiovascular health. These all-natural compounds help increase the levels of good cholesterol, thus kicking the bad ones out of the picture.
6. Regular consumption of cherries may help reduce your chances of suffering from a heart attack or stroke, thanks to their abundant supply of anthocyanins.
7. Cherries help restore normal pH balance within. Just like with so many other fruits, cherries have an alkalizing effect.
8. Cherries also have anti-inflammatory properties, making them excellent for individuals afflicted with arthritis and gout.
9. Vitamin A in cherries is converted by the body into beta carotene, an antioxidant that safeguards the cells of the eyes from damage. Aside from promoting good eye health, beta carotene also helps maintain sharp vision.
10. Because cherries contain insoluble fiber, it promotes good digestion and keeps constipation at bay.
11. Potassium present makes cherries highly recommendable for diabetics. Potassium is a mineral that helps in the regulation of glucose or sugar level in the blood.
12. Vitamin C in cherries is very important as this nutrient helps strengthen your immune system. With top-notch immunity, you are less likely to catch colds, flu and other sicknesses brought about by bacterial or viral invasion.
13. Cherries are good for the mind because they help protect the brain cells as well as ward off memory loss.