Most of us have experienced colds, flus, and other viral infections at one point in our lives with the common illnesses repeating from time to time. Although this is not unusual, relying too much on medications can make our bodies immune to the dosage to the point that we will require higher doses to address these viral infections. But should you really head to your medicine cabinet to banish away viral infections? Well, not really since there are some herbs that can help treat this health issue. Among these herbs include:
- Advertisements -
- Pau D’arco. This antiviral herb has been used in many folk medicines to treat various illnesses such as influenza, the common cold, herpes, and even viral stomatitis. What makes this herb effective is the presence of quinoids, specifically, lapachol, which has been found to be effective in treating different types of viruses such as the ones mentioned above.
- Ginger. You may be using ginger to give your dish that extra kick but did you know that it can actually help get rid of any viral infections in your system? When you ingest ginger, it is actually encouraging your body’s mucosal cells to produce agents that can combat infections. This herb also has anti-nausea properties plus it helps your body retain liquid to prevent dehydration from occurring.Echinacea. Echinacea
- Echinacea. Echinacea is also another type of antiviral herb that can help treat viral problems from the common colds to bronchitis. What this herb can do is to enhance your immune system so that it will be able to fight off viruses especially colds and other infections in your upper respiratory tract.
- Oregano oil. Oregano is considered a staple in many kitchen cabinets which isn’t surprising as it is a perfect addition to numerous dishes. Aside from this, oregano is actually a good choice when it comes to fighting off bacteria and viruses in the body. If you have oregano oil on hand, dab some around your nose to stop airborne viruses from being absorbed through your nasal passages. Don’t be shy with using oregano in your dishes because you’re actually gaining much more when you use it frequently.
- Elderberry. This antiviral herb is known for its stimulating effects on the immune system. What this herb can do is to actually relieve symptoms of col, flu, and even sinus headache. Researchers have discovered that the elderberry extract can actually reduce the duration and the severity of your colds or flu.
- Garlic. When talking about antiviral herbs, garlic is always included. For one thing, it contains the compound allicin which not only gives the cloves their pungent smell but they are also the source of antiviral compounds that can combat flu or colds. So if you want to enhance your immune system or treat your colds and other common ailments, make sure that you add this herb to your cooking.
These antiviral herbs are just a few that are worth mentioning. There are more out there but these six herbs are a good place to start if you need that extra protection against viruses.