The shiny purple skin of eggplant is a true reflection of the stellar roster of nutrients it packs within. Belonging to the family of nightshade vegetables just like tomatoes and sweet peppers, it is loaded with dietary fiber, copper, manganese, potassium, folate, and vitamins B1, B3, B6 and K. Indeed, there is no reason why you shouldn’t be eating plenty of it.
A great way to ensure that you and your family are benefiting from all of the health-giving nutrients of eggplant is by turning it into a lip-smacking snack. Below you can find a very simple baked parmesan eggplant chips recipe.
- 1 medium-sized elongated eggplant
- 2 egg white
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely ground
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375 ºF.
- While waiting for the oven to be ready, slice the eggplant into about 1/4″-thick rounds.
- Place egg whites in a bowl. Beat until frothy.
- Throw the sliced eggplants into it. Muddle them up to completely coat all surfaces with egg white.
- In a shallow dish, put the breadcrumbs, grated parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Mix very well.
- Dunk the eggplant slices into this mixture one by one. Make sure that all surfaces are coated. Afterwards, arrange them on a cooling rack placed in a rimmed baking sheet large enough to accommodate it.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven.
- Let the eggplant slices bake in there for about 15 to 20 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Sprinkle more finely grated parmesan cheese on the eggplant chips.
- Serve together with your favorite marinara sauce.