Gingival recession or receding gums can start as early as in your childhood with the gums slowly moving backwards until the roots of your teeth are exposed and prone to absorbing bacterial growth. This can lead to various dental problems when not addressed immediately. There are many factors that cause gums to recede such as poor oral hygiene and buildup of tartar and plaque. It can also be triggered by smoking, lack of vitamin C, and others.
The question now is how will you be able to bring back the natural health of your gums to protect your teeth against possible diseases? Here are some home remedies that you can try out.
- Sumac. Regardless of whether you know of sumac as that tangy spice you use in cooking or a bush in your backyard, this will help with your receding gums. The tannins present in sumac can help absorb excess fluids in your gums so that they will become tight once more while reducing inflammation. Remove the outer layer of the sumac twigs then rub it on your teeth and gums. You can also make a tea out of it if you like, just make sure that you choose the red sumac as the white one can be poisonous.
- Green tea. Drinking green tea is not just for making you lose weight but it is also useful when it comes to treating receding gums. Consuming this tea on a regular basis can help you with your oral hygiene while enhancing your gum’s health. It can also reduce gum bleeding and prevents attachment loss of your gum tissues too.
- Aloe vera. Another possible remedy for you to try is aloe vera. The gel from the leaf of the aloe has soothing and healing properties that can help you with your receding and inflamed gums. For this treatment, you will need freshly harvested aloe vera gel. Just add a small amount of the gel on your gums after you brush your teeth then massage it for a few minutes. This will help restore the tightness of your gums.
- Eucalyptus. If you want to bring back healthy gums, try looking for toothpaste that contains eucalyptus because it has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the swelling in your gums. This plant is not just for treating your receding gums but other gum issues as well. However, don’t chew the plant but rather make a mouthwash with it or look for a toothpaste that has this ingredient.
- Coconut oil. You can also use coconut oil when it comes to treating your receding gums as it contains lauric and MCTs or medium chain triglycerides which have anti-inflammatory as well as antimicrobial properties. Just mix a pinch of sea salt with some coconut oil and massage it on your gums. This will help reduce any inflammation in the gums.
These are just a few home remedies that are known to help address receding gums. You can try any one out or all of them for that matter to see which one works best for you.