Pancakes are one of the most popular breakfast choices since they contain minerals and vitamins that your body needs to start your day right. However, they may also be high in calories and sugar content especially when you add butter and plenty of syrup. If you’re watching your weight or if you just want to make a different version of your traditional pancake, why not make blueberry oat pancakes?
Blueberries have anthocyanins which can help reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, and stroke. Oats, particularly whole grain oats, are one of the best health foods today thanks to their protein, carbohydrate, and fiber content. Combining these two ingredients when making your pancake will give you a power packed breakfast meal to satiate your hunger.
What you will need:
• 1 ½ cups of water
• 1/8 teaspoon of salt
• 1 ½ tablespoon of butter
• 2 cups of pancake mix
• 1 1/3 cups of raw oats
• 2 ½ cups of blueberries, make sure they are fresh ( ½ to be used for the batter and ½ for the garnish)
• Maple syrup
To make your blueberry oat pancake you will need to do the following steps:
1. Get a large mixing bowl and mix together water and pancake mix.
2. Add the oats and salt and stir in the ingredients. Add half of the blueberries to the batter and fold the blueberries into the batter using a spatula.
3. Melt ½ of butter in a large pan or skillet to coat the entire bottom. Use a small ladle and drop some batter to form pancake at least 3 inches in width. You will need to repeat this process depending on how large your pan is so that you get to cook the entire batter.
4. Place your fresh pancakes on a platter and drizzle with maple syrup before you serve.
5. You can garnish with blueberries for added flavour.
Although this recipe is healthier compared to your traditional pancake recipe, you should still monitor the size of the portions that you are eating since you can still get calories when you consume this type of pancake. This recipe can make up to 12 mini sized pancakes.