Cervical cancer, just like what the name suggests, is a condition that affects the cervix which is the lower and narrow part of the uterus that opens into the vaginal canal. According to the experts, it is one of the different gynecological cancers that can be easily prevented as well as cured when discovered early.
It usually takes several years for the normal cells found in the cervix to mutate and turn into cancer cells. There are times, however, when the entire process can take place in a short period of time. The following are a few more important facts about cervical cancer that you might want to know about:
- Cervical cancer, according to medical authorities, is the second most rampant type of cancer all over the planet.
- In the US, death rates associated with cervical cancer continues to decline. Such can be attributed to the widespread use of preventive strategies and early treatment.
- Getting infected with the human papilloma virus or HPV is closely associated with the development of this type of cancer in women.
- Fortunately for women, there is a vaccine that can lower the risk of HPV infection, thus minimizing the chances of cervical cancer from developing.
- Other risk factors of cervical cancer included having a weak immune system as well as exposure of your mother while she was pregnant with you to the chemical known as diethylstilbestrol or DES.
- At 21 years of age, it’s important for a woman to start getting screened for cervical cancer for early detection and treatment.
- Certain lifestyle changes may help lower your odds of having cervical cancer. They include quitting smoking, practicing safe sex, limiting the number of sexual partners, exercising regularly and having a healthy diet.
Speaking of having a healthy diet, there are certain foods that you should consume on a regular basis if you wish to keep cervical cancer from ruining your life. Whether you are trying to steer clear of any disease or you simply want to have a long and healthy life, eating well-balanced meals is important. Read on to know some of the foods known to help make it easier for any woman to prevent having cervical cancer.
- Turmeric powder – Consuming dishes with turmeric powder in them may help ward off cervical cancer. That’s because this highly popular spice contains curcumin, a plant-based compound known to prevent healthy cells from turning into cancer cells.
- Berries and nuts – Blueberries, strawberries, walnuts and pecans all contain ellagic acid, a naturally occurring substance known to activate certain types of enzymes in the body that are capable of neutralizing cancer-causing toxins. Loading up on foods with ellagic acid can be one of your best defenses against cervical cancer and other forms of cancer.
- Foods rich in vitamin C – Thanks to its antioxidant properties, vitamin C may help prevent the development of cancer cells. Consuming citrus fruits, kiwis, guavas, yellow bell peppers and dark green leafy vegetables also helps strengthen your immune system. As mentioned earlier, a weak immune system is a cervical cancer risk factor.
- Zinc-rich foods – According to the experts, zinc is a mineral that helps the body produce more enzymes capable of wiping out cancer-causing toxins. Foods that are naturally high in zinc include beef, seafood, spinach, wheat germ, pumpkin seeds, beans, nuts and chocolate.
- Green tea – There are so many ailments and diseases that can be prevented by the simple consumption of green tea. This well-loved beverage is loaded with antioxidants that fight off cancer cells. Green tea is also capable of warding off inflammation, something that is associated with a host of diseases, and cancer is one of them.
- Foods containing beta-carotene – Studies have shown that beta-carotene, an antioxidant known primarily as the protector of the eyes, is capable of reducing your risk of cancer. Aside from carrots, other good sources of beta-carotene include sweet potatoes, squash, cantaloupes, apricots, sweet red peppers and dark green leafy vegetables.