Got a nasty sore throat? There are numerous home remedies available for it that allow you to attain relief without having to face a variety of unwanted side effects. Certain essential oils are proven to be effective in combating a sore throat. Below are some of those that can really impress when your throat is itchy and inflamed:
- Lemon essential oil. Loaded with vitamin C, lemon essential oil supports the body in fighting that infection taking place in your throat. This essential oil also stimulates salivation, which helps save your throat from dryness and itchiness.
- Peppermint essential oil. There are numerous upper respiratory tract infections that can be resolved naturally with the help of peppermint essential oil, and a sore throat is one of them. According to numerous studies, making peppermint essential oil effective against a sore throat are its anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties.
- Oregano essential oil. Another essential oil that is highly effective against all sorts of problems with the upper respiratory tract is that which is obtained from oregano. According to experts, oregano essential oil is capable of killing off bacteria and viruses that may bring havoc to a person’s throat.
- Eucalyptus essential oil. Experts say that its ability to reduce inflammation and boost the immune system makes eucalyptus essential oil a potent sore throat fighter.
- Clove essential oil. Because it’s excellent in strengthening the immune system, clove essential oil is one of the best all-natural remedy for a nagging sore throat. If you don’t have clove essential oil but you have cloves in your spice rack, simple chew on a bud to attain immediate relief from that itchy and swollen throat.
- Juniper berry essential oil. A lot of health-friendly household products on the current market contain juniper berry essential oil because it’s a reliable antibacterial and smells great, too. You can also count on the said essential oil if you have a sore throat.
- Thyme essential oil. Experts say that thyme essential oil is one of the most effective essential oils against microbes, and that is why it makes for a phenomenal home remedy for a sore throat. In fact, it is said that thyme essential oil is capable of zapping even those antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria.
So how can you employ these essential oils in combating a sore throat? Well, there are a handful of ways available. See which of the following methods you find more convenient or practicable:
- By inhalation. The simplest way to use the essential oil of your choice is by inhaling it. You may add a drop or two on the back of your hand or a handkerchief and sniff away. You may also place a few drops of it in a small basin with hot water, and then inhale the steam. If you have a diffuser, dilute with the carrier oil of your choice and fill the room with its sore throat-fighting aroma.
- By topical application. Applying the essential oil on your neck area can help provide relief from the nasty symptoms of a sore throat. Doing this also enables you to constantly take a whiff of it. In about a tablespoon of the carrier oil of your liking, add 1 to 2 drops of your chosen essential oil. Massage a little of it on your neck.
- By oral intake. Make sure that the essential oil you have is the therapeutic grade kind and not something that’s blended with synthetic ingredients — they’re not suitable for oral consumption. Once you are sure that your essential oil is completely pure, add just a single drop of it in a glass of water and consume — that’s how potent a therapeutic grade essential oil is.