Upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, loss of balance, headache, cold sweats — these motion sickness symptoms can certainly drain all of the excitement of your grand holiday. Such problem is something that you have to endure twice throughout your vacation — one on the way towards your dream destination and the other on your way back home.
Motion sickness happens when your brain receives conflicting messages from various parts of your body. For instance, your eyes may not see any sign of turbulence but the rest of your body is telling your brain otherwise — this is when motion sickness happens, causing you to feel the uncomfortable symptoms associated with it.
No matter if you are traveling by land, air or sea, motion sickness can strike. Amusement park rides and even certain children’s playground equipment can induce it as well. If you are a woman and you are in the family way, you are at higher risk of encountering motion sickness. It’s just so unfair, isn’t it?
There are pharmaceutical solutions for motion sickness, but they are not formulated to cure it. What they do is simply keep the symptoms associated with it from occurring. These drugs may also leave you feeling sleepy, and that’s why it is not a good idea to take them if you are going to drive a vehicle or operate a piece of machinery.
Fortunately, there are some all-natural ways to keep motion sickness at bay. For instance, you may choose a window seat when traveling by air, or pick a seat near the front and facing forward if traveling by sea. Sitting in the front of the car or doing the driving itself can work wonders, according to those who are prone to motion sickness.
Then you may also rely on some essential oils that are proven to provide much-needed relief from motion sickness. Most of the time, taking a whiff of these essential oils can help in the management of motion sickness’ nasty symptoms. Simply place a drop or two of your preferred essential oil on your handkerchief and sniff it.
You may also dilute your chosen essential oil if you wish to have it applied directly on the affected part of the body, such as on the temples if motion sickness is giving you a headache, or on the belly if it’s leaving you with upset stomach. In an ounce of carrier oil (olive, avocado, jojoba or coconut oil) place 6 to 12 drops of your chosen essential oil.
So which essential oils you may use to get rid of the symptoms of motion sickness? Here are some of them:
- Ginger essential oil – A small bottle of this should be in your home’s medicine cabinet or travel bag’s pocket if you know you are prone to motion sickness. This particular essential oil is also a wonderful all-natural remedy for the likes of anxiety, colds and flu.
- Peppermint essential oil – One very popular remedy for motion sickness is peppermint essential oil. The mere scent of it is usually enough to zap that queasiness and upset stomach that motion sickness brings. It’s also great for fever and muscle pain, but it is not ideal for children below 6 years of age.
- Patchouli essential oil – Unlike peppermint essential oil, this one is safe for very young kids because it is very mild. Not too many people are aware that patchouli essential oil is very good for motion sickness. It’s a good idea to dilute it with your preferred carrier oil as the scent can be so strong.
- Lavender essential oil. A lot of people rely on lavender essential oil for dealing with anxiety and depression naturally. It’s a wonderful home remedy for insomnia, too. Guess what? You can also count on this sweet-smelling essential oil when motion sickness is bugging you.
- Pink grapefruit essential oil – This essential oil is revered for its ability to deal with motion sickness and various digestive problems. A lot of people count of pink grapefruit essential oil to lift their mood. Others swear by its effectiveness in eliminating unsightly cellulite.