The changing weather is bound to leave your immune system compromised and when your throat starts to hurt, you know you need to be prepared for some discomfort. Most people stick with over-the-counter medications and the traditional salt and water gargles to treat their sore throat but when the pain isn’t going away as quickly as you want, it is time to look for alternative treatments like the ones below.
- Sage. Regardless of whether you are going to steep in hot water or add some on your bowl of soup, sage is one sore throat treatment that can yield some exceptional results. What this herb can do is to actually reduce the inflammation inyour throat as well as other physical problems such as ulcers.
- Honey and Lemon. This is probably one of the most effective remedies for sore throat and cough as the combination of lemon and honey not only helps soothe sore throat but it can also reduce inflammation as well. And if you are battling cough, honey will help suppress it.
- Cooked Cabbage. You’ll probably be surprised to find that cabbage is also considered as a treatment for sore throat. Cabbage is actually high in antioxidants so that you will be able to heal faster from your colds, flu, or even cough. All that you have to do is to stir-fry the cabbage in olive oil, add some turmeric and eat it to combat itchy throat and inflammation at the same time.
- Smoothies. Sore throat can be a bother especially when you’re eating but one way to soothe the pain away while getting some much needed nutrients inside of you is by drinking some smoothies. You can actually make a smoothie out of blueberries if you like as it has tannins that can help alleviate the pain. Bananas are also another option to consider because they are high in fiber, vitamin C, and other important nutrients that can combat sore throat and the onset of coughs and colds.
- Tea. It doesn’t matter what tea you are going after, be it green, white, black, oolong, and the like, it will help you deal with your sore throat fast. One reason behind this is that these teas have the ability to fight off any infection. Don’t forget that tea is also good for lowering one’s stress levels, fight inflammation, and make you more alert so having a cup of tea is not really a bad idea at all.
- Scrambled Eggs. Another food that can help you deal with sore throat is scrambled eggs. What’s great about eggs is that they are not that hard to swallow plus they are packed with omega-6 fatty acids and protein too which can combat inflammation.
- Ice Cream. Of course you shouldn’t forget that ice cream is also good for your sore throat as it helps numb the pain and the creaminess of it is not that bad either. Just eat some when your throat is feeling sore and itchy and you will find the discomfort alleviated.