Fatty liver is a disease that affects millions of people all over the world where there is excess fat found in the liver’s cells. When this happens, the liver becomes inflamed which can cause pain flaring up from the upper, right-side of the abdomen. The leading cause of fatty liver is too much consumption of alcohol. Although the liver itself can repair once you abstain from drinking, it would help if you choose healthy foods to add to your diet to speed up the healing process.
Which foods are suitable for fatty liver? Here are some examples that you should take note of.
- Fruits and vegetables. There is no denying the power of fruits and vegetables when it comes to providing you with essential nutrients so make sure that you add more helpings of them in your diet. The antioxidants present in these foods as well as a host of vitamins and minerals can boost your immune system which fights off any bacteria that might be causing your liver to become inflamed.
- Lean meat. Chicken meat and eggs are good sources of protein as well as meat and beef but you need to take note that dark meat (beef and pork) are high in fat content. If you can’t avoid eating this food, make sure that you scrape off the fat and the skin as much as possible and just stick to the meaty part. Also, make sure that you lessen the amount that you consume during your meals to avoid aggravating your fatty liver.
- Whole grains. Another type of food that you can incorporate into your diet is whole grains. Whole grains can deliver antioxidants, dietary fiber, minerals, and vitamins that are essential to your overall health. Eating whole grains can reduce your risk of cardiovascular diseases plus they can help flush out any toxins that might be causing your liver to become inflamed. Oats, barley, bulgur, and even brown rice are better options as opposed to white rice and pasta.
- Dairy. There are certain types of dairy products that are labeled fat-free and reduced fat which you should get instead of the regular ones. Salad dressings as well as mayonnaise belong to dairy products that have high fat content. Since it is sometimes unavoidable to not eat dairy, you should choose those that have less fat in them.
- Unsaturated fats. Not all fats are bad for your health as unsaturated fats are essential components to our overall health. Foods that contain unsaturated fats such as seeds, nuts, and even vegetable oils can boost heart health, overall well-being, including improved brain function. This is why, if you are suffering from fatty liver, you might want to consider adding unsaturated fats to your diet as well to help your body become healthier in the process.
These are just a few examples of foods that you can consume even when you have fatty liver. By paying attention to the foods that you eat, you will be able to prevent aggravating your fatty liver every time you eat.