There are plenty of reasons why omega-3 fatty acids are getting lots of much-deserved attention. These good types of fats can benefit you in more ways than one — from giving you skin that glows with health to making your arteries clog-free. Continue reading to know the many wonderful things that omega-3 fatty acids offer.
So many pieces of evidence show that omega-3 fatty acids are highly beneficial for the heart. These are the things that these nutrients can bring to your cardiovascular health:
- Omega-3 fatty acids help lower your bad cholesterol levels. Because of this, your arteries can be kept from being clogged up which leads to life-threatening problems such as heart attack and stroke.
- They also keep in check triglycerides in your blood. Triglycerides are bad fats associated with high risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Experts say that omega-3 fatty acids help in keeping blood clots at bay. You don’t want to develop a blood clot as it may block a coronary artery (causing a heart attack) or an artery that supplies blood to the brain (causing a stroke).
- These friendly fats help in relaxing the arterial walls, thus helping to normalize the blood pressure.
- Omega-3 fatty acids help in reducing chronic inflammation, a condition which causes an assortment of health problems. One of them is the clogging up of the arteries.
One of the most frightening diseases around is cancer. A lot of researches have linked omega-3 fatty acids to cancer prevention and even treatment. The following are the positive impact of omega-3 fatty acids to cancer:
- Studies conducted on animals reveled that omega-3 fatty acids helped control the growth of certain types of cancer cells.
- Some investigations have shown that these nutrients helped reduce risk of hormone-related cancers such as breast cancer. There had also been evidence that omega-3 fatty acids could inhibit the growth of cancer cells in the colon, prostate and lungs.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are known to provide energy, increase the appetite and preserve muscle mass — all of which are vital for people battling cancer.
Brain and Mood
Experts tout fish as food for the brain because of omega-3 fatty acids. From improving the memory to slowing down the degeneration of brain cells, there are plenty of benefits that these good fats offer your mind:
- Omega-3 fatty acids help improve blood flow to the brain. In addition, these nutrients help make the membranes of brain cells become more elastic, thus allowing for an enhanced flow of electrical impulses.
- Studies conducted on school-age kids have shown that omega-3 fatty acids helped in enhancing both learning skills and memory retention.
- Additionally, investigators who did those studies have found out that kids who received omega-3 fatty acids in supplement form exhibited fewer behavioral problems than kids who didn’t.
- Omega-3 fatty acids help with an assortment of mood disorders such as depression. In fact, studies have shown that these friendly forms of fat are capable of improving the mood of individuals suffering from depression.
- They are also known to help battle cognitive decline due to dementia brought about by aging.
Because omega-3 fatty acids help in dealing with chronic inflammation, they may be beneficial for people who are suffering from inflammation-related diseases like arthritis. Below are the things that make these nutrients good for the joints:
- According to experts, omega-3 fatty acids not only ward off inflammation. Once absorbed by the body, these good fats are converted into resolvins — compounds known to possess superb anti-inflammatoriy properties.
- Omega-3 fatty acids help in managing morning stiffness experienced by arthritis sufferers.
- Because of their effectiveness in dealing with joint inflammation, a lot of people with arthritis are able to reduce or even stop their intake of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to deal with the pain. Experts say that it may take up to 3 months of supplementing with omega-3 fatty acids to see marked arthritis improvement.
Having problems with your skin? Incorporate more fish into your diet to take advantage of omega-3 fatty acids’ wonderful effects on the skin. They include the following:
- Omega-3 fatty acids have antioxidant properties that fight off free radicals, saving you from problems such as premature aging signs and even skin cancer.
- These healthy fats are capable of minimizing the damaging impact the sun’s UV rays have on the skin. What’s more, they can also reverse the damage caused by the sun.
- Due to the anti-inflammatory properties of omega-3 fatty acids, they help relieve various skin conditions such as acne, eczema, psoriasis and rosacea.