Yoghurt is one of the most versatile dairy products known to men. It is made when milk gets fermented by yoghurt cultures (bacteria). Although most commonly eaten for breakfast, there are lots of other things you can do with the dairy product too. It is one of the best healthy foods known to man, and you should include it in your diet.
The main bacteria that ferment in a yoghurt culture are lactobacillus bulgaricus, lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobobacillus rahmnosus, streptococcus thermophiles and enterococcus faecium. These bacteria cause lactic acid to appear in milk, turning it to that tangy taste and creamy texture that we all know so will. This is also why it is one of the healthy foods we should all eat.
Try to purchase yoghurt that is a live and active culture, which means it will contain at least 100 million cultures in each gram. If you don’t mind spending a little bit more, purchase organic yoghurt which is the greatest of all the healthy foods and it’s good for the environment. You could even choose to make your own!
So what are some surprising ways to use yoghurt? Essentially:
- It helps you actively lower your cholesterol by a lot, which will prevent heart disease and strokes, like many other healthy foods.
- People who are lactose intolerant may find that eating regular portions of yoghurt can help them beat their allergy, as well as still giving them the calcium they would otherwise miss.
- It is an excellent way to boost your immune system too, since it contains so many vitamins and minerals that aid our body’s health.
- Diarrhoea is relieved by consuming it as well, because the bacteria will immediately get to work in your gut trying to restore the balance.
- Yoghurt is great in treating yeast infections, with some women in particular actually rubbing the product into their vagina and vaginal wall to prevent thrush, mainly when they are pregnant.