The cabbage vegetable is one of the most nutritional vegetables out there. It comes from the cruciferous or brassica family. Some other members of the cruciferous vegetables include broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. Cabbages are extremely rich in various kinds of vitamins. The interesting thing about the cabbage vegetable is the fact that it can be cooked before consumption or just eaten raw.
Below are some of the amazing health benefits of cabbage:
- Cabbages prevent the growth of cancers. If you did not know then you know. Cabbages are known to contain potent cancer fighting properties such as lupeol, diindolylmethane and sinigrin. These compounds produce a certain type of enzyme that prevents the growth of tumors in the body. A recent study in China showed that women who consumed more vegetables from the cruciferous family (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, etc) had a lower chance of suffering from breast cancer.
- Cabbages have anti-inflammatory properties and are therefore very good in giving relief to people who are suffering from inflammation.
- Treating stomach ulcers. Studies have shown that cabbage is also very good for people suffering from stomach ulcer or peptic ulcer. A study into this amazing importance of cabbage was done recently at the Stanford University where it was revealed that the juice derived from cabbage is one of the most effective natural remedies for people suffering from peptic ulcers.
- Cabbages are natural immune system boosters. If you want to boost your immune system then you must add more cabbages to your menu. Science has proven that! Studies have shown that since cabbage contains very high levels of Vitamin C, it can easily help the body in fighting free radicals thus strengthening the immune system.
- Cabbages are also very good for the eyes. The more cabbages that you consume, the lesser your chances of suffering from age-related macular degeneration of the eye. Cabbage is very rich in beta-carotene, which is why it is very good for the eye.
- If you want a beautiful and healthy skin then you have to eat more cabbages. The free-radical fighting property of cabbage helps protect the skin from damages that make the skin age. Cabbages will keep your skin beautiful.
- Cabbages help in relieving constipation. If you are one that suffers a lot from constipation then you have to eat more cabbages. Cabbages contain very high levels of fiber which help in the stimulation of the digestive system thus preventing constipation.
- Cabbages are also very good in relieving muscle soreness. There is a type of acid in cabbages called lactic acid which helps significantly in relieving soreness in the muscles.
The above rank amongst some of the most important health benefits of cabbages. Cabbages can be eaten raw or cooked. When cooking cabbages, it is imperative not to overcook them else you kill some of the vitamins in them.