Sausages are undeniably irresistible! However, the sad truth is most of the varieties you can find on the current market are loaded with saturated fats that can have a negative impact on your weight. Even scarier than that, saturated fats can cause your LDL (low-density lipoprotein) or bad cholesterol levels to shoot up, clog the arteries, increase the blood pressure and cause heart disease.
The following DIY sausage recipe is very low in saturated fats because it is made up of chicken breasts and an assortment of vegetables too. Serving it is good for the health as well as your reputation as the culinary connoisseur among your family members and circle of friends. Read on to know how to whip up the perfect healthy chicken and vegetable sausage rolls.
500 g chicken breast, minced
1 cup of wholemeal breadcrumbs
4 sheets of frozen puff pastry, thawed very recently
2 medium-sized eggs
1 carrot, grated finely
1 zucchini, grated finely
1/2 onion, grated finely
1/4 cup of flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
1/4 cup of coriander leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
1. Get your oven preheated to 200 °C.
2. Grab a couple of baking sheets and line each one of them with baking paper.
3. Dump your wholemeal breadcrumbs, minced chicken breasts and an egg in your food processor. Blend until all of the ingredients are combined very well.
4. Transfer the mixture in a large bowl. Add in your chopped vegetables and herbs — carrot, zucchini, onion, parsley and coriander leaves. Mix thoroughly for an even distribution of all the ingredients.
5. Put 1 puff pastry sheet on a floured surface and cut it in half. Place an eight of the mixture along the center of the halved pastry sheet. Fold in an edge of the pastry over, tucking it in right next to the filling. Fold over to the other side and press down lightly to fasten. Repeat until you have stuffed all of the pastry sheets.
6. Cut the rolls into 3-cm pieces. Make sure to make a couple of incisions into each one of them to keep splitting at bay.
7. Place everything on a baking sheet. Cover and stash in the chiller for about half an hour.
8. Lightly beat an egg and brush the rolls with it. Sprinkle your sesame seeds on them. Bake in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until you see that the rolls are lightly browned and the fillings are cooked.
9. Serve with tomato catsup or sweet chili sauce.