Cortisol is basically what we refer to as our stress hormone which is being produced by the adrenal glands. Too much of this hormone can actually trigger weight gain, nervous eating, anxiety, and even muscle loss. Fortunately, there are ways in which you can reduce your cortisol levels and one of them is by using adaptogen herbs which actually promote better emotional and physical response. These herbs include the following:
- Ashwagandha. This herb has been used in Ayurvedic medicine which is a type of Hindu system of medicine that has been around for more than three centuries. Studies showed that this particular herb has showed some positive changes in terms of reducing cortisol levels which is why it is considered for relieving stress. You can also this herb to deal with arthritis, fatigue, insomnia, and even high blood pressure just to name a few.
- Rhodiola Rosea. The Rhodiola Rosea is often recommended to promote longevity and endurance. It is also useful when it comes to managing impotence, depression, as well as fatigue. The presence of the chemicals salidrosides and rosavins is one of the reasons why this herb is also good for reducing cortisol levels.
- Eleuthero. According to several studies conducted in Russia and China, this herb actually increases a person’s tolerance for stress related factors such as heat, intense exercise, and even noise. When this herb is taken regularly it can actually increase one’s athletic performance, endurance, mental alertness, and of course, work output.
- Ginseng. There are different types of ginseng being used in Asia for ages. Basically, there are three types of plant ginseng and these are Chinese, Panax, and American. All of these contain ginsenosides which can combat stress. So regardless of whether you are going for Panax, American, or Chinese ginseng, you will still reap their stress relieving properties.
- Holy Basil. Another adaptogen herb that you can use to alleviate your cortisol levels is holy basil. Although it is somewhat similar to basil in terms of using it for your food preparations, you cannot substitute the latter to relieve your stress. Holy basil is more effective in reducing one’s stress levels which can actually improve your mental alertness while slowing down any health issues brought about by aging.
- Reishi Mushroom. Although this type of mushroom is actually good for eating, most of the time, you can get it in supplement or tincture form. Reishi mushrooms are actually useful when it comes to regulating various cellular functions as well as systems such as cardiovascular, immune, digestive, and endocrine. It is also found to have a positive effect in reducing or slowing the growth of cancer cells. You can also increase your energy levels with this mushroom not to mention get rid of any inflammation in your body.
These are just a few examples of herbs that are actually good for alleviating your stress levels. You should always consult your doctor first before taking any of these herbs to ensure the best results.