Chest cold is usually triggered by a virus infection which usually begins as a common cold. You’ve probably heard of it as it is usually referred to as bronchitis. This usually occurs when the mucus and phlegm from your cold drains to the lungs, chest cold or bronchitis is triggered. The lungs become inflamed because of the presence of mucus. When you have a chest cold, you will experience chest pains, mild fever, coughing, and excessive wheezing. Those who have bronchitis sometimes feel discomfort when swallowing food or when breathing. Most of the time, medications are given for this kind of health issue but you can alleviate the problem with some home remedies. Here are some to take note of.
- Honey. This home remedy contains not just antiviral properties but also antibacterial which are both important when it comes to treating bronchitis. Aside from soothing your throat, honey can also enhance your immune system. You can start by adding a teaspoon of honey to your cup of tea or combine half a teaspoon of honey with some fresh ginger paste, a pinch of black pepper, and 1 to 2 clove powder. Consume the paste that you have made to alleviate the burning sensation in your chest.
- Lemon juice. There are some people who suggest that you skip eating citrus fruit when you have bronchitis but lemon juice is something else. One reason why lemon juice is worth taking when you have chest cold is because it is considered as a natural expectorant so that the mucus in your lungs can be expelled easily to help clear your lungs out. Another plus to this drink is that it contains high amounts of vitamin C which can make your immune system stronger.
- Epsom salt. If you want to find relief from bronchitis, taking an Epsom salt bath is worth it. All that you have to do is add 1 ½ kg of Epsom salt to your warm bath water then immerse yourself in it for thirty minutes before you go to bed. This is particularly effective for those with acute bronchitis. On the other hand, if you have chronic bronchitis, you should do this treatment twice a day.
- Milk with turmeric. Another home remedy that you can use for your chest cold is milk with turmeric. Turmeric is known for its antiseptic and antimicrobial properties which are useful to reducing the inflammation in the lungs. Combining it with milk makes helps boost your immune system to fight off chest cold.
- Thyme. Thyme is one of the best herbs to help remove the mucus in your lungs while strengthening them. This is because thyme has antibacterial properties that can relieve your lungs of any bacteria buildup. You can either add thyme as seasoning to your dishes or make a tea by adding half a teaspoon of this herb in a cup filled with boiling water. Let the leaves steep for 5 minutes. Sweeten your drink by adding honey to it.