Other than heredity and age, there are a few other factors that cause the darkening of the nipples. It happens whenever there are hormonal changes going on inside the body of a woman, such as during menstruation and pregnancy. Breastfeeding a baby is another common factor. Certain medications may also cause the nipples to darken in color.
Luckily, there’s no need to put up with the embarrassment of having dark nipples. That’s because there are a few home remedies available that has worked for a lot of women who were not happy with the color of their nipples. Continue reading to know some of these home remedies. More often than not, you may have to experiment with different ones to find out which of them work so well for you.
• Lemon juice. Something as simple as applying lemon juice on your nipples can cause dramatic changes in no time. Lemon juice is loaded with citric acid, one of nature’s most effective bleaching agents. Lemon juice also contains vitamin C which helps repair and nourish damaged cells, leaving your nipples in tip-top shape.
• Orange juice. Can’t stand the stinging sensation caused by the application of lemon juice? Fret not because you may go for a milder nipple lightening solution: orange juice. Just like lemon juice, it’s also capable of lightening the nipples. If there’s some stinging sensation present, simply dilute orange juice with water.
• Mashed papaya. In case there’s stinging sensation even after diluting orange juice with water, consider applying mashed papaya instead. This tropical fruit contains excellent amounts of vitamin C. Because it’s not a citrus fruit such as a lemon or an orange, applying it on your dark nipples to whiten them won’t bring any discomfort.
• Mashed avocados. Fret not if you cannot seem to get your hands on a papaya at the supermarket. Check if there are some avocados around. Mash a small piece of avocado. Apply generously on your nipples. Let it stay there for several minutes before rinsing to give avocado’s vitamin C and healthy fats plenty of time to work.
• Cucumber slices. Aside from zapping eye puffiness, cucumber slices are also very good at lightening those dark nipples of yours. All you need to do is gently massage a cucumber slice on the problem area. The massaging action also helps promote blood flow to the nipples, providing them with proper nourishment.
• Fresh milk. Something as simple as regularly applying fresh milk on your nipples can bring about noticeable changes in their color in no time. Lactic acid in milk is very good at lightening dark nipples, but without causing any irritation. Milk also helps provide nourishment that the nipples require to stay in an excellent state.
• Coconut oil. There are instances when excessive dryness of the nipples can cause them to appear darker. If such is the case, simply massage a small amount of coconut oil on your nipples. The massaging action also helps promote blood circulation, supplying the nipples with the nutrients they need to stay in the pink of health.
• Licorice extract. If you can get this product at a local health food store, then you have a DIY remedy for dark nipples that is proven effective by a lot of women. You simply have to apply the product on the problem areas on a daily basis in order to see noticeable lightening of your dark nipples.
• Licorice powder. If this is the one available and not licorice extract, go ahead and buy it so that you may enjoy lighter nipples. All you need to do is make a paste by adding a few drops of hot water to some licorice powder. Mix very well and apply generously on the nipples. Wash off with lukewarm water after a few minutes.
Just one word of advice: refrain from overdoing these home remedies because it may only cause irritation and further darkening. This is especially true when it comes to solutions involving citrus fruits such as orange and lemon.