Believe it or not, most lotions that swear to safeguard your looks can actually wreak mayhem to your appearance and even health! Even the kinds that say they’re all-natural contain questionable ingredients. That is why making you own lotion at home is a phenomenal idea. It’s safe and effective, and it can be customized to suit your preference and needs!
Your skin is actually a semi-permeable external organ. This means that some of the things you slather on it may be absorbed. Once in the bloodstream, they can get to your liver, kidneys and other vital organs. You may have soft and well-moisturized skin now, but tomorrow your health may be in a terrible state!
Whipping up your own beauty products at home, such as lotions, can be good for your health. What’s more, it can also benefit your budget and even expand your DIY prowess. There is no need to go through all the guesswork as a quick visit to the internet allows you to come across several different tutorials on making homemade beauty solutions.
The nicest thing about making your own lotion is you do not really need a lot of ingredients to produce something that can really take good care of your skin. In fact, the very simple recipe you will find below requires you to get your hands on 4 ingredients only. One of the ingredients is something that you choose for your own, which means the finished beauty product is something that is tailor-made for your particular liking!
Before we take a look at the recipe, let us first have a glimpse of the ingredient you get to pick — healthy oil that can benefit your skin and overall appearance. It’s a great idea to get to know how each of your options smells. Also, being aware of some of the benefits of each can make your DIY lotion experience a delightful and rewarding one.
For instance, almond oil is very good at hydrating as well as cleansing your skin. Avocado oil is also an excellent moisture provider, and it’s also rich in healthy fats that help make your skin look young. A staple in so many beauty products, jojoba oil is packed with vitamins and minerals, ensuring that your skin is properly nourished. Argan oil is loaded with vitamin E that shields your skin from free radicals. Then there’s also olive oil, coconut oil and many more!
Because these oils are all-natural, they are highly compatible with your body chemistry. They are also absorbed easily by your skin, which means you don’t have to put up with that annoying greasiness that most commercially-available lotions bring. Lotion you make at home is non-greasy and safe for regular use!
As promised, here’s how you can whip up lotion that won’t take up a lot of your time and budget, and won’t put your beauty and health on the line, too:
- 1/2 cup of any healthy oil mentioned above
- 1/4 cup of warm water
- 3 tablespoons of beeswax
- 5 to 10 drops of your choice of essential oil (jasmine, lemon, ylang ylang, vanilla, lavander are some great examples)
- Large glass bowl
- Large stainless steel pot
- Wooden spoon
- Food processor with the drip attachment
- Fill your large stainless steel pot halfway with water. Bring to a boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil, grate your beeswax.
- Place your grated beeswax and healthy oil in a large glass bowl.
- When the water is already boiling, turn the heat to medium and carefully place the bowl in the pot.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix the contents of the bowl.
- When the bowl’s contents are already melted, turn off the heat.
- Add 1/4 cup of warm water in your food processor. Turn it on.
- Very slowly, add your melted beeswax with healthy oil.
- Add your chosen essential oil drop by drop.
- Transfer in a clean jar and use.
Just a quick note: because this DIY lotion does not contain preservatives or stabilizers, it will only last for a couple of weeks.