Because everyone wants to have a slice of the various health benefits of tofu, it’s really easy for you to get your hands on a block of this mashed soybeans. A trip to the refrigerated section of your local supermarket allows you to take home something nutritious that you can incorporate to your favorite vegetable or stew recipe.
Did you know that it’s really easy to make your own tofu at home? This is the perfect project for you whether you want to expand your kitchen abilities to impress your family and friends, or you simply want to make sure that what you put in your mouth is clean and healthy — or both.
Before we take a look at this very easy tofu recipe, let us first discuss some of the benefits of eating this healthy food that is commonly used in vegetarian and Asian cooking.
• Tofu helps prevent cancer. The impressive amounts of flavonoids (plant pigments with antioxidant properties) in tofu help in warding off cancer. Experts say that this nutritious food is especially very good at combating prostate and breast cancer.
• It helps regulate your blood pressure. High blood pressure is something that can increase your risk of having heart disease, heart attack and stroke. The consumption of tofu helps prevent high blood pressure from striking because its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties help keep your blood vessels in a healthy state.
• Eating it helps you stay in shape. Since tofu is extremely low in calories, fat and cholesterol, it’s something that can assist you in losing excess pounds. It’s also rich in protein so it helps speed up your metabolism.
• Tofu helps build and repair muscles. Just like what’s said earlier, tofu contains good amounts of protein, a nutrient that’s so important for muscle development and maintenance. Protein is also essential for various biological functions, energy production and a stronger immune system.
• It makes you look amazing. Protein is also important for healthy and beautiful skin. That’s because it promotes the development of collagen, something that keeps your skin strong and supple. The inclusion of tofu in your diet can help prevent and improve the appearance of wrinkles.
• Consuming it helps in providing relief from menopause symptoms. Women who can’t stand the symptoms of menopause may include tofu in the diet as it can help in restoring proper estrogen levels in the body.
• Tofu is good for the bones. Thanks to the presence of calcium and magnesium in tofu, eating this healthy food helps strengthen the bones as well as keep osteoporosis at bay. Tofu is also good for rheumatoid arthritis sufferers because it helps in preventing joint pain and inflammation.
These are some of the most noteworthy health benefits of tofu. The good news is adding it in the diet is so easy — just log on the web to come across hundreds of mouth-watering recipes with tofu as one of the ingredients! Now let us check out how simple it is to make your own tofu at home.
- 1 1/2 cups of dried soybeans
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- Soak your dried soybeans in 1 1/4 cups of water overnight.
- Transfer both soybeans and water in a food processor. Blend until you end up with a smooth liquid.
- In a large pot, boil 5 cups of water.
- Add your soybean slurry in it. Lower the heat and bring to a boil. Remember to stir constantly. Turn off the heat after about 8 minutes.
- Allow it to cool for a bit.
- Cover a large bowl with cheesecloth. Carefully pour the contents of the pot in it. The goal is to separate the ground up soybeans from the liquid which you will use for making tofu.
- In a large pot, bring the liquid to a boil using low heat. Stir constantly.
- Add your lemon juice to make the liquid coagulate.
- Turn off the heat when the temperature is 150 to 155 degrees.
- Grab a large bowl and place cheesecloth over it. Transfer the curdled soy in it using a ladle.
- Gather up the corners of the cheesecloth and tie them up. Squeeze out the liquid.
- Transfer to a large tray and place something heavy on top of it, like a plate.
- After 15 minutes, remove the weight and stash it in the fridge for about an hour.
- It’s done!