Have you been dieting for months and working out but without seeing any signs of improvement? Perhaps your thyroid is not functioning properly. Obesity has become a huge problem not just in the United States but all over the world over the past few years. Although there are many factors that can contribute to this issue, there are some studies that show that endocrinological and metabolic dysfunction play a part too. It is understandable that losing weight when you have hypothyroidism is going to be difficult but you can manage it by following these tips.
- Maintain your blood sugar levels. Maintaining your blood sugar levels is important when you’re trying to lose weight in spite of your hypothyroidism. If your blood sugar goes up, your immune system will consider your thyroid as a threat and will attack it. On the other hand, if your blood sugar goes down, your thyroid will release stress hormones. This is why it is important that you regulate your blood sugar levels to prevent your body from becoming out of whack.
- Drink more water. If you’re still gaining weight, there is a possibility that you are not drinking sufficient amounts of water. Water plays a crucial role in your weight as it helps keep your belly full while at the same time, curb your appetite. What’s more, water can help flush out the toxins in your body and improve your digestion so that it will be easier for your body to absorb the nutrients from the food that you are eating.
- Start a sleeping routine. Those with hypothyroidism often give up on getting sleep during normal hours because their thyroid is not cooperating with them. Unfortunately, this causes further decline in your health and weight. Just because you can’t sleep it doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t go to bed on a predetermined time. As a matter of fact, you can start training your brain that it is time for bed by creating a routine. Even if this means just lying in bed and in a relaxed state, it can still deliver a huge benefit to your health.
- Add more fiber. As a thyroid patient, it is important that you increase your intake of fiber when trying to lose weight. You can get plenty of fiber from fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds, as well as whole grains so don’t hesitate to mix them up as much as possible. If you still feel that you are not getting enough fiber, you can always get them in supplement form.
- Fix your leaky gut. Another tip for you to lose weight even when you have thyroid problems is by fixing your leaky gut. If you are diagnosed with a leaky gut on top of your thyroid problem, you will find it hard to get rid of those excess weight. One of the best ways to heal your gut is by following a Paleo diet but don’t forget to consume foods that contain probiotics too to help balance your gut flora.