Did you know that you can have your clogged nose effectively decongested while taking a shower or bath? Such can be attained with the help of shower disks. There is no need to comb your entire city to look for these gems because you can actually make them from scratch with the use of some ingredients that may already be in your home!
There are plenty of home remedies available for a stuffy nose, all of them are free of unwanted side effects — unlike nasal decongestants that may cause irritation of the lining of your nose, mouth dryness, feeling sick, headaches, anxiety or restlessness, a rapid heart rate or palpitation, and insomnia.
Some of the most effective all-natural solutions to opening up the airways include using a humidifier of vaporizer, rinsing the nasal passages with saline water with the help of the so-called neti pot, adding garlic to the diet and drinking plenty of fluids. Well, you can add to the list the use of special shower disks designed to help unclog the nose.
Here’s how you can make these stuffy nose-busting shower disks with your own hands:
- 1 1/2 cups of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of eucalyptus essential oil
- A small glass mixing bowl
- A fork
- Silicon molds
- A container that’s airtight
- In a small glass mixing bowl, combine baking soda, cornstarch, peppermint essential oil and eucalyptus essential oil. Use a fork to mix all of the ingredients.
- Add a little water while mixing. Refrain from adding lots of water as to make the mixture paste-like, but make sure that you add just enough water to make all of the ingredients cling to each other. Break up large clumps that may form during the process.
- Transfer the mixture into the silicon molds. If you don’t have silicon molds, you may also opt for muffin tins or even dixie cups. See to it that you press the mixture firmly into your chosen molds.
- Place the molds in a cool and dry spot. Allow the shower disks to dry and harden for several hours. Leaving them overnight to set is a wonderful idea.
- Carefully pop the shower disks out of the molds. Transfer them to a container with an airtight seal. It’s also perfectly fine to store your homemade shower disks in a large Ziploc bag.
That’s how simple it is to come up with shower disks that are very effective in opening the airways, making them the perfect bathroom companions whenever you are bugged by a stuffy nose.
Both peppermint essential oil and eucalyptus essential oil are the reasons why these shower disks work excellently. Some studies even say that aside from unclogging the nose, these essential oils may even help you bounce back much faster from which ever allergy or infection that’s keeping you from breathing freely and comfortably!
So how do you employ these shower disks that you made with your own hands?
Each time you are about to take a shower, simply place one of the disks on the soap dish or elsewhere in the bathroom — just see to it that the disk will be touched by splatters of water because that’s how it’s ability to decongest your nose is activated. Don’t forget to take deep breaths the moment that the minty aroma of your shower disks fills the area.
Your homemade nasal congestion-fighting shower disks work perfectly with a hot shower. The steam produced by hot water combines with the decongesting properties of your shower disk, allowing you to say goodbye to that pesky stuffy nose in an instant!