A jar of hazelnut spread is a staple in the kitchen of a person who knows how to please his or her sweet tooth big time. It’s the perfect snack time companion — you can slather it on toast, bananas, crackers, waffles, cupcakes and many others. Placing a spoonful of it in the mouth is something that’s heavenly!
While it tastes unbelievably good and addicting, too much hazelnut spread is bad for your figure and overall health. If you are a weight-conscious individual, you may even be trying your best to stay at least 5 miles away from the nearest hazelnut spread jar. But life is too short and missing out on something as mouthwatering a hazelnut spread can keep you from enjoying your existence to the max.
Fortunately, there is no need to fight hard your urges to enjoy hazelnut spread from time to time because there’s a health- and figure-friendly version of it. Just imagine a jar of it that contains significantly fewer calories and devoid of neither gluten nor dairy. Nope, you don’t have to search far and wide just to get your hands on that kind of hazelnut spread — it’s something that you can whip up in your own kitchen with your very hands!
Hazelnut spread can be made from scratch without devoting your entire day to it. In fact, it will take you around 30 minutes only to come up with a jar of hazelnut that’s just as delightful as the real deal, but at a fraction of the calories, not to mention it won’t harm your sensitive gut because it does not have gluten or dairy.
Aside from having a deliciously sinful spread that won’t ruin your figure and tummy within easy access, coming up with your own hazelnut spread also makes for the ideal personalized gift as you put much time and passion into making it, plus the recipient will immediately know you wish him or her well because it’s a healthier alternative to store-bought hazelnut spread that everyone these days is clamoring for.
So are you excited to please your sweet tooth without feeling guilty afterwards? Below you will find the simple recipe for hazelnut spread that’s low in calories and contains absolutely no gluten and dairy.
- 3 cups of raw hazelnuts
- 2/3 cups of dairy-free dark chocolate (chopped into small pieces)
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of stevia powder or extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place your raw hazelnuts on a large baking sheet and have them roasted in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes. You will surely know that they’re done when the entire kitchen smells yummy already.
- Remove the baking sheet with roasted hazelnuts from the oven. Allow to cool for a while.
- Place paper towel on a large plate or tray. Place your roasted hazelnuts on it and remove the skins by rubbing and rolling them against the paper towel with your hands. Try to get rid of as much skins as possible. Fret not if you cannot make your roasted hazelnuts 100 percent skin-free because that’s alright.
- Transfer your roasted hazelnuts into a food processor and go ahead and turn them into something really creamy. It will take about 8 to 10 minutes of processing to achieve the perfect consistency. From time to time, switch off your food processor and scrape the sides with a rubber spatula.
- Place your chopped dairy-free dark chocolate in a microwave bowl and heat in the microwave to have them melted. Heat for about 30 seconds, mix with a spoon, and heat again. Repeat the process until no chunks remain.
- Add your melted chocolate, stevia powder or extract and sea salt to the creamy hazelnut. Process very well.
- Transfer to a clean jar and store at room temperature or stash in the fridge.