Is your kitchen never without a jar of mayonnaise because it’s your favorite condiment? If you love the supermarket-bought kind, you will surely be swept off your feet by something that’s made in your very own kitchen!. Of course you will have to devote a little of your time and energy, but you can rest assured that what you will be slathering on your salads and sandwiches contains no unhealthy ingredients.
Making your own mayonnaise is really easy — you will need only 5 ingredients that can be readily found in a health-conscious person’s kitchen. But here’s a warning: you have to combine some of the ingredients really slowly in order to make your homemade mayo really thick. Otherwise, you may end up with a disastrous result. But that’s okay — spending time in your kitchen whipping up something healthy is actually a wonderful stress-buster.
There are many different ways of making homemade mayonnaise — logging on the internet allows you to come across an assortment of recipes. But that’s okay. Just like what they say, the more the merrier. The recipe you will find below is guaranteed to be one of the simplest homemade mayo recipes you will find in cyberspace. However, this does not mean that it is the least delicious. You have to taste it to believe it!
Before we take a look at the recipe, here’s one more important thing that you have to bear in mind: make sure that all of the ingredients are at room temperature. Otherwise, they will not blend with each other perfectly, which is the key to a homemade mayonnaise that will make the most expensive and popular brand of mayo escape your mind.
Several hours before you dabble into making mayonnaise with your very own hands, place all of your ingredients on the kitchen counter. Doing this assures you of a perfect outcome. Some individuals who are into making homemade mayo leave their ingredients outside the fridge overnight just to ensure a stellar result. If an ingredient kind of feels cool to the touch, postpone your mayo-making task — the wait will be well worth it.
Excited to come up with homemade mayonnaise? Here’s the recipe:
- 1 medium-sized egg
- 1 1/4 cup of light olive oil (divided)
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Grab a large mixing bowl. It’s a good idea to opt for something out glass or stainless steel as lemon juice will not react to it. Using a bowl out of copper or aluminum is a terrible idea — the resulting mayo will surely have a metallic taste to it. Definitely not appetizing!
- Combine the egg, mustard, salt and 1/4 cup of light olive oil in the bowl. Mix with a wooden spoon or whisk. Feel free to stir the way you like it — the slow mixing mentioned earlier does not concern this part of the recipe. Just make sure that everything is blended very well.
- Now it’s time to go to the time-consuming part: adding the rest of the light olive oil. By the way, light olive oil is recommended to give your homemade mayonnaise just the right taste. If you opt for extra virgin olive oil, the outcome may have a really overpowering flavor. But it’s your personal preference that matters the most — feel free to experiment until you come up with a homemade mayo that’s perfect for you!
- Use your food processor or blender while adding 1 cup of light olive oil into the mix. Make sure that you pour very, very slowly. This is vital for coming up with a really thick homemade mayonnaise. Don’t rush in case you get bored. Remember: patience is a virtue.
- Afterwards, switch off your food processor or blender. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and blend it in using a wooden spoon or whisk.
- Transfer your homemade mayonnaise to a clean glass jar and keep in the fridge. Enjoy!