Earaches can be very painful. Most are due to fluid buildup in the middle ear. This can result from a variety of causes such as loud sounds, the common cold, an ear infection, wax in the ear, blockage in the nasal passage, physical damage to the inside of the ear, an increase in air pressure and so on. Earaches occur more commonly among small children than adults.
A simple earache can be taken care of easily at home with natural remedies. It’s likely you’ll have one or more of these readily available in your kitchen.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for earaches.
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil can provide fast relief from an earache. Olive oil serves as a lubricant and helps get rid of an infection in the ear. Olive oil can also be helpful in stopping buzzing sensations inside the ears.
- Put 3-4 drops of lukewarm olive oil as ear drops into the ear canal.
- Alternatively, you can dip a cotton bud in the oil and put it firmly into the ear.
- You can also use mustard oil in the same way.
The analgesic and antibiotic properties of garlic can help relieve pain caused by an ear infection.
- Take 2 tablespoons of sesame oil.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of minced garlic in it.
- Cool and filter the oil.
- Put 2-3 drops of this garlic oil in the aching ear.
- Another option is to extract the juice out of a few cloves of garlic and put the juice into the ear that hurts.
Onion is one of the most readily available home remedies for an earache. The antiseptic and antibacterial properties in onions work well in treating earaches.
- Crush a fresh onion and wrap it tightly in a piece of clean cloth.
- Hold the cloth over the infected ear for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Repeat the process several times a day.
- You can also extract 1 tablespoon of onion juice from grated onions and heat it over low heat. Then put 2-3 drops of the juice into affected ears 2-3 times a day.
4. Hot Water Bottle
Putting moist heat around an infected ear can work as a great pain reliever. Simply wrap a hot water bottle in a towel and press it against the aching ear for a few minutes.
Ginger has strong anti-inflammatory properties that can be helpful in treating various types of ear infections. It is also an excellent natural painkiller.
- Extract juice from fresh ginger and put the juice directly into the ears to get relief from pain and reduce inflammation.
- You can also mix one tablespoon of fresh ginger root with one-fourth cup of warm sesame oil. Allow it to cool a bit and then apply the mixture externally around your infected ear.
6. Bishop’s Weed Oil
The oil of Bishop’s weed is one of the most effective natural cures for earaches.
- Mix one teaspoon of Bishop’s weed oil with three teaspoons of sesame oil and warm it slightly.
- Put four to five drops of the oil mixture in the ear.
Licorice is a great herb that can bring quick relief from earache.
- Warm some licorice slightly in clarified butter to make a thick paste.
- Apply the mixture externally around the ear until you notice that your earache is improving.
Both peppermint leaves and peppermint oil can be used to treat earaches.
- Put the juice from fresh peppermint leaves in a dropper and then put some drops inside the aching ear.
- Apply a few drops of peppermint oil externally around your ear. But avoid getting any of this oil inside your ear. If you wish, you can dilute the peppermint oil using olive oil.
Another effective natural earache treatment is radish.
- Cut one fresh radish into small pieces. Put the pieces into mustard oil and warm it up.
- Allow it to return to room temperature and strain the oil into a glass container.
- Put a few drops of the oil into the ear.
10. Hair Dryer
Another way to get the effect of moist heat for pain relief is with the help of your hair dryer. After taking a shower or bath, do not towel dry your ears. Instead, use a blow dryer. Keep the dryer setting on warm and hold it slightly away from the ear. Let the warm air dry the moisture in your ear. Do not use the blow dryer for more than five minutes.
If you do not get relief using these home remedies, consult a doctor.