Sometimes you just want to relax during the weekend, and there isn’t much time you want to spend in cooking. So here’s a few tips for the busy folks out there:
1. Use granola as “pie crust” for any dessert.
Being healthy yet still yum. Sliced apples with brown sugar and cinnamon will give that apple pie the rocking taste. Add granola all over and top with ice cream for almost instant apple pie a la mode.
2. Stir-fried recipes are the easiest and the best.
- With the use of a wok or frying pan takes less than two minutes to heat up. TIP: If water droplets immediately evaporate when they hit the pan, it’s hot enough for the oil to cook food. Best to use the healthiest oils like olive oil or coconut oil.
- TRY: pre-cut meat or chicken like sukiyaki or stroganoff cut for beef; chicken tenders for chicken, this lessens the time for you top chop meat.
- Veggies: Broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, onions, and leafy greens are so easy to chop into small portions.
- TIP: Cook meat first + salt, pepper, add your favourite Asian sauce + add veggies last.
3. Salt, pepper, and dried herbs give so much flavor.
Salt and pepper make everything taste better, and herbs like rosemary are great on red meats and fish. Just sprinkle them on anything you’re cooking to make meals tastier.
4. Complete meal: Pasta!
Pasta recipes are just easy if you have the right and healthy ingredients.
- Fill a pot with water and salt (1 tablespoon of salt for a half kilo packet of pasta) and bring to a boil, add some oil to (1 tbsp).
- While boiling, sauté chopped onions, tomato, garlic, chili flakes, and basil in olive oil. Your water will be boiling when this is done so set that aside first.
- Cook pasta as instructed -try angel hair or spaghetti for about 2 minutes until al dente. Rinse in cold water and drain.
- Add and toss with sautéed veggies and top with parmesan cheese as desired.
5. Consider microwave when cooking.
Using microwave is best in the morning if you’re in a hurry but would like to enjoy some breakfast.
A. Sunny side up
Crack an egg into a shallow bowl and microwave for 45 seconds and voila.
B. Scrambled eggs
Whisk a couple of eggs together and pour in a bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time for three times, and stir between each set.
Your microwave is also an oven, which mean it can also cook meat.
Fish, like salmon, is easy to season and cook. Plus, it absorbs flavor well even without marinating.
6. Cook a fancy steak.
Wonder how a steak is cooked easy at home?
- Massage both sides of steak with salt and pepper
- Heat a frying pan for five minutes so it becomes very hot then add oil or butter
- Cook each side of the steak for about 2 minutes (or depending on how you like your steak cooked)
- Serve steak with pre-mixed veggies for an almost instant meal.