Kids and adults alike simply can’t say no to those crispy golden brown chicken nuggets. They’re almost perfect, but the fact that they are deep-fried can easily make them bad for one’s health. For instance, did you know that a 6-piece serving of chicken nuggets from your favorite fast food joint already packs nearly 300 calories? Not to mention that those bite-sized gems served on your tray are also loaded with sodium and cholesterol.
There’s no need to deprive yourself or your kids of those delightful chicken nuggets just because they are unhealthy. It’s because you can make some from scratch without much effort. What’s so nice about homemade chicken nuggets is you can skip the parts that give them a bad reputation, allowing them to be nothing but pure goodness. Now you won’t feel guilty handing these finger foods to your kids, or placing some of them on your salads.
Baking instead of frying chicken nuggets can easily turn them from heinous into genius! Other than being easy to make, whipping up these baked goodies can also save lots of your time in the future — place them in a resealable bag and stash in the freezer, then pop them up in the microwave whenever you or your kids crave for some of those golden brown beauties. Homemade crispy chicken nuggets are perfect for someone on a time crunch! You can serve them faster than a fast food joint, but minus all those health-wrecking grease and sodium.
So without further ado, here’s how you can make no-fry chicken nuggets with your own hands:
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- On a rimmed large baking sheet, spread your panko breadcrumbs. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool for a while and then transfer to a shallow dish. Add in your grated parmesan and sea salt. Spray a little olive oil and mix very well.
- Cut up chicken breasts into small nuggets, each one measuring about 1 1/2 inches.
- In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Transfer to a shallow dish. Also, place your all-purpose flour on another shallow dish. Now there should be 3 shallow dishes in front of you, each one containing all-purpose flour, lightly beaten eggs and breadcrumbs.
- Place a wire rack on a large baking sheet. Lightly spray with olive oil.
- Grab a chicken nugget, coat it in flour and shake off the excess. Now dip it in egg, and then coat with breadcrumbs. Place it neatly on the wire rack. Repeat everything until all of your chicken nuggets are coated.
- Bake them for 10 minutes or until they already posses that eye-catching golden brown color. Halfway through, don’t forget to flip the nuggets for an even cooking.
- Remove from the oven and serve!
That’s how trouble-free it is to make chicken nuggets that are way healthier than the ones you can get at the nearest fast food joint. You can make more and, once cool, stash them in a resealable bag and freeze. When you’re on the rush and you or your kids would like some chicken nuggets, just heat them up in the microwave.
By the way, it’s a wonderful idea to serve your no-fry chicken nuggets with a matching sauce. Well, there are a couple of sauces you can make in a snap:
- To make honey mustard sauce, just combine 3 tablespoons of mustard, 2 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
- To make spicy ketchup, all you need to do is combine 1/4 cup of ketchup, 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, and of course 3 tablespoons of your preferred spicy chili sauce.