Most of us want to shed weight as quickly as possible which is why we are often in the lookout for workout programs that can help burn fats fast. A lot of people are signing up for gym memberships, while others do yoga, spin classes, and even Zumba but if you’ve done all these or are doing them already but are looking for other ways to make your fitness routine more enjoyable, why not do your workouts in the pool?
Pool exercises are actually good for you because aside from adding resistance to your workouts, it puts less pressure on your joints. This is why those with joint problems as well as the elderly opt for this fun exercise program to strengthen their bodies. If you are wondering what exercises you can do in the pool, here are some examples that you should try.
- Half suspended jumping jack. Doing regular jumping jacks is hard enough but introduce water into the equation and you will find it doubly hard to execute. For one thing, the resistance from the water will make it difficult for you to jump up plus your natural buoyancy can either tip you forward or backward once you enter the pool. Try to do as many as you can without tipping over.
- Water jogging. A good warm up exercise in the pool is water jogging. If you increase the intensity of your jogs, you will be able to burn up to 17 calories per minute. Perform this for three minutes before doing some light exercises to help regulate your heartbeat.
- Flutter kick. Here’s another exercise that will help strengthen your legs. Hold on to the edge of the pool or onto a paddleboard then raise your body so that you are parallel on the pool. Flutter your legs underwater as fast as you can within a minute. Aim to keep your legs submerged while executing the flutter kick rather than raising your legs as high as you can.
- Pool plank. Planks are good for strengthening your core but if you are having a hard time maintaining a plank on land, you’ll find this exercise to be useful. You will need a water log or noodle to hold on to while you are in the pool. To do this, push the noodle into the water until your body is on an even incline and try to hold this pose for as long as you can manage. Make sure that your head is above the water as you perform this plank.
- Knee tuck. Performing this exercise on land can actually jar your joints if you are not too careful but if you think that this one is going to be easy while you are in a pool, you will be surprised that it is extra challenging. For one thing, it will be a bit difficult to jump while you are in the water let alone raise your knees towards your chest without flopping forward. But if you manage to master it, it will be one of the strongest weapons in your water training as it can tone your core too.