Your spice rack can work as traditional medicine. A lot of spices we keep at home are known cures for ailments. Here are ten spices you can try to cure your health woes.
Ginger cures nausea and sedation. According to traditional Chinese medicine, ginger contains antiemetic properties that can stop vomiting and sedation. A few modern studies have been done that prove this theory to be true.
- Tablespoon of fresh ginger
- Half a teaspoon of dried ginger.
-You can add these to your everyday meals or eat it as is.
Basil is known to fight off colds. Basil is rich in immunity boosting properties. It works as protection from harmful bacterias like flus and colds.
Daily Intake :
- 1 to 2 tablespoon of chopped basil
- You can use it as garnish or include it in your favorite smoothies.
Garlic can lower cholesterol because of its antioxidant properties. A study was done in Pauling Institute that prove that the participants that incorporated garlic in their diets have lower cholesterol than those who didn’t.
- 3 to 5 crushed garlic
- 5 Baked garlic cloves
- Garlics can be eaten raw or incorporated in cooking
Nutmeg is great for lowering blood pressure. Nutmeg and other spices like cardamom are known to control the distribution of blood in the body. Distributing the body’s blood equally reduces overall pressure.
Daily Intake :
- A teaspoon of nutmeg
- Nutmeg work well with steamed veggies and pastries.
Cumin in traditional medicine is known for its cancer prevention properties. In India people who intake cumin regularly are said to be less prone to cancer. Cumins have enzymes that hinder growth of cancer cells and tumor.
- 6 teaspoons of seeds of cumin
- Half a teaspoon of powdered cumin
- Cumin is great with vegetable, meats and fishes
Cinnamon is a well known diabetes fighting spice. Cinnamon can remove excess sugar in the blood and control hormones. Cinnamon can jump start metabolism in the morning. People who take cinnamon daily decreased their glucose level by 25%.
- Half a teaspoon a day
- Add cinnamon to your coffee or apple slices
Rosemary can improve memory. It contains ursolic acid that stops neurotransmitters that can cause memory problem.
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of chopped rosemary
- Rosemary syrup works great in fruit salads and other desserts. Boil melted sugar and rosemary in a bowl to make this yummy syrup.
Thyme is known to reduce coughing. It is known to be an anti-inflammatory for the throat, this is great to stop you from painful coughing.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of chopped of thyme
- Including thyme to vinaigrette is a great way to incorporate it in your daily diet or use it in baking.
According to Chinese medicine, cloves can help get rid of arthritis pain and stagnation. It contains phytochemicals that are known to remove protein complex and inflammation.
- Half a teaspoon of cloves
- Cloves works as a great marinade or rub for meats or fishes. It gives of a very earthy taste to meals.
Turmeric is an ancient spice that is used in curry and other spice filled recipes, but did you know it can also remove inflammation. Turmeric contains enzymes that remove inflammation.
- Half a teaspoon to a teaspoon of turmeric
- You can use it as an extra flavor for your canned soups and side dishes.