Do you make it a habit to add lots of water to your smoothies to make them really filling? If you want your smoothies to be really satisfying, then do the complete opposite — make them as thick as you can.
According to a study that appeared in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, thicker smoothies are better at warding off hunger. Researchers found out that the participants felt fuller right away and for a longer period of time after consuming thick smoothies that packed only 100 calories than thin smoothies that contained up to 5 times more calories. Based on the said study, going thick is the trick to weight reduction!
But that’s not the only study suggesting that thick smoothies are more satisfying than thick ones, and are thus ideal for people who like to ward off hunger pangs and attain their dream figures.
In Wageningen University in the Netherlands, a somewhat similar study was conducted. The participants were asked to randomly pick from different smoothies with different consistencies. Also, the participants had to consume the smoothies with straws to keep them from guessing which smoothies they picked. But despite of the varying viscosities, all the smoothies consisted of 5 percent carbohydrates, 3 percent fat and 20 percent protein.
After consuming the smoothies, the participants’ stomachs were scanned every 10 minutes for 90 minutes using an MRI. Here’s what the researchers found out:
The thinnest smoothies of the bunch left the stomach really quickly — in just about half an hour. On the other hand, the thickest smoothies available stayed in the stomach for a little over 80 minutes! Then the researchers also found out something that they referred to as “phantom fullness” wherein the participants who chose thick and heavy smoothies still felt full despite of the fact that the smoothies they consumed have completely left their stomachs.
So the next time you whip up your own smoothie at home, go thick! Not only will it make you feel full right away, but also for a longer period of time.
Here are a few really smart tips on making your smoothies thick:
- Freeze some fruits. Several hours before you make your smoothie, stash slices of fruit ingredients in the freezer. Doing so will allow you to come up with smoothies whose consistency is almost similar to ice cream. Yum! Some of the best fruit ingredients to freeze include bananas, mangos, peaches, kiwis and strawberries.
- Throw in some avocados. Whether frozen or not, the addition of avocados can make your smoothie boast of a really rich consistency. What’s so great about avocados is they don’t have an overpowering taste. If you are not particularly fond of avocado’s taste, worry not because it can be easily covered up by your other favorite ingredients.
- Add probiotic-rich yogurt. If you don’t mind consuming dairy, feel free to add some yogurt in your smoothies to make them creamy and so filling. Remember to go for plain to keep excess calories at bay! If dairy is not your thing, you may simply go for almond of coconut yogurt to make your smoothies thick.
- Count on coconut meat. Speaking of coconut, it is a phenomenal idea to include some coconut meat in your smoothies to make them rich. Coconut meat is the perfect ingredient if you want to make your smoothie super creamy and refreshing. Further, every sip will remind you of a dazzling tropical destination!
- Include raw rolled oats. A very simple way to come up with the thickest smoothie in the universe is by dumping rolled oats in the blender. Not only will this make your smoothie so satisfying, but also loaded with fiber. With rolled oats, you can say goodbye to both hunger pangs and constipation.