Chili con carne is loaded with protein, thanks to its beef and red bean content. That is why it’s a wonderful meal for you whether you are trying to build muscles or lose excess pounds. The added herbs and spices are antimicrobials and bursting with antioxidants, helping you enjoy a stronger immune system. Follow this simple recipe and you can be sure to serve and enjoy the perfect chili con carne:
500 grams of lean beef, minced
1 400-gram can of chopped tomatoes
1 410-gram can of red kidney beans
1 large onion, sliced into small dice
1 medium-sized red bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons of tomato puree
1 cube beef stock
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of chili powder
1 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of marjoram, dried
1 teaspoon of cooking oil
- Place your pan over medium heat and add cooking oil. Once hot, saute your chopped onions until translucent. Throw in your minced garlic, chopped red bell peppers, chili powder, paprika and ground cumin. Occasionally stir for about 5 minutes.
- Dump your 500 grams of beef in the pan and break it up using a spatula. Turn up the heat a little higher and constantly stir to ensure even cooking of the meat. After about 5 minutes, there should be no more pink beef bits to be seen.
- Turn heat to low, cover and let everything simmer.
- In the meantime, crumble the beef stock cube with a fork and dissolve it in a cup of hot water. Add this to the simmering beef mix. Empty the can of chopped tomatoes into the pan as well. Add your sugar and dried marjoram, and season with salt and pepper. Don’t forget to throw in your tomato puree. Give everything a good stir and cover the pan.
- For the next 20 minutes, occasionally stir the mix. The mix should look thick and juicy. If it seems too dry, simply add a couple of tablespoons of water. If it appears too watery, allow to simmer more without the cover on.
- Once the consistency is perfect, it’s time to add the red beans. Make sure that you have drained and rinsed them before stirring them into the mix and completing the well-loved dish. Allow everything to boil using low heat. Taste and season as necessary, or add more chili powder if you want it to have a more fiery flavor. Once cooked, turn off the heat and allow your chili con carne to stay there covered for about 10 minutes.
- Served with rice or baked potatoes as chili con carne goes very well with either of the two.