Lipoma is a non-cancerous tumor that grows under the skin and is made up of fat cells. Anyone at any age can have it, although the condition is more often seen in adults 40 to 60 years of age. Lipoma can develop in practically any part of the body, although it is more likely to form in the armpits, upper arms, neck, torso and upper legs.
The size of a lipoma can range anywhere from below 2 inches to as much as 8 inches across. Removal is usually done only when the person who has it is uncomfortable or distressed with its presence. Lipoma is not a painful condition, although there are cases when it feels tender when touched or there’s pain when pressure is applied.
Medical Lipoma Treatments
Just like what’s mentioned earlier, the removal of lipoma is only necessary if the individual who has the condition finds it helpful or necessary. The following are some of the medical treatments for lipoma:
- Injection of steroids. Administering steroids directly into the lump helps in shrinking its size.
- Laser or ultrasonic technique is used in sucking out the lump composed of fat cells.
- Surgical removal. Undergoing the knife is especially beneficial if the tumor is still growing.
There are certain risk involved most especially with liposuction and the surgical removal of lipoma. Some of them include infection of the wound site and formation of scars. In addition, these medical treatments may intimidate budget-conscious individuals suffering from lipoma.
Natural Lipoma Treatments
For those who prefer to steer clear of any invasive medical treatment for lipoma, there are different home remedies known to help in shrinking the non-cancerous tumor brought about by the condition. These solutions may not work as quickly as getting steroid injections, liposuction or surgery. However, having patience is a small price to pay compared to the risks commonly involved with medical lipoma treatments. Here are some natural remedies for lipoma that you may try:
- Reduction of fatty food consumption. Because the growth is made up of fat cells, it makes perfect sense why it’s a good idea to reduce the consumption of any food that contains a lot of fat. Incorporating more fruits and vegetables in your daily diet helps make it easier for you to limit your intake of fatty food such as meat and dairy products.
- Avoidance of processed food products. Experts also recommend for you to steer clear of anything processed available at the supermarket. Processed food contains synthetic chemicals such as flavorings, colorings and preservatives. All of these unnecessary ingredients tend to accumulate in the body and may trigger the development of fatty lumps under the skin.
- Ditching cigarette smoking. Smoking is bad for the overall health. If you have lipoma, you have one more reason to consider ditching this habit. Cigarette smoking floods your body with chemicals that may cause the formation of lumps. Also, smoking tends to impair blood circulation, something that can hinder the natural healing of the condition.
- Applying turmeric paste on the lump. Curcumin is a substance in turmeric that makes this herb effective in reducing the size of lipoma. Simply add a few drops of olive oil to a small amount of curcumin powder. Apply the resulting paste on the lump and leave it there to work. Do take note that the deep yellow coloration of turmeric powder may stain the skin and clothes.
- Using chickweed ointment. This natural remedy for lipoma is available in most health and food stores in your area. Traditionally, chickweed is an herb used in loosening thick mucous along the airway and drawing out excess water in the blood. It is also said that chickweed also helps in keeping at bay the unnecessary accumulation of fat cells on various parts of the body.
- Massaging sage extract on the problem area. Another good all-natural treatment for lipoma is sage extract. This very popular herb is known to attract fat cells. It is for this reason why the application of sage extract on the skin with a lump directly underneath it may work in reducing the size of the lipoma.
- Applying castor oil on the lump. Castor oil has been used for centuries as a topical remedy for various benign tumors. Regularly applying it on the lump may lead to size reduction, saving you from the need to rely on a medical treatment for lipoma.
- Drinking plenty of green tea or lemon juice. Green tea is revered for its ability to burn fat cells in the body. Lemon juice helps in flushing out toxins as well as melting fat. Regularly drinking green tea or lemon juice may help in reducing the size of lipoma.