Again and again, health authorities warn the public against the consumption of supermarket-bought chips that clog up the arteries, trigger inflammation and make the waistline expand. Especially if you care about your health and figure, it’s certainly a wise move on your part to stay away from those greasy, fatty and sodium-packed snacks.
What would you do if told that you could actually make with your own two hands some of the best tasting chips your family and friends have every tried? Step foot in the kitchen of course!
Below is perhaps one of the simplest recipes for the creation of stellar chips that will surely tickle the taste buds but without putting anyone’s health on the line. You don’t have to be a seasoned chef just to impress. By following a few simple steps, you could delight everyone with nutritious and delectable chips.
First, it’s a good idea to know some of the reasons why this recipe is worth raving about. Here they are:
- The chips are baked so they are not loaded with saturated fats
- They are out of sweet potatoes that are highly nutritious
- The resulting snack is devoid of artificial flavorings and preservatives
- They are the product of your very own culinary expertise
Especially if you mind what you put in your mouth, you will be delighted to know that it’s easy to make your own baked sweet potato chips. Sweet potatoes are known to contain lots of vitamins and minerals such as: vitamins A, C, B1, B2, B3 and B6, manganese, copper, potassium and phosphorous. In addition, these scrumptious spuds are also loaded with fiber.
Sweet potatoes contain antioxidants that neutralize free radicals before they cause a dizzying assortment of health problems such as obesity, arthritis, heart disease, diabetes, cancer and so many others!
Sweet potatoes are also wonderful sources of complex carbohydrates that keep you energized. At any given time of the day, munching on them allows you to have the fuel you need for carrying out an assortment of mental and physical tasks. Indeed, sweet potatoes are energy-giving snacks that are way better than others that are laden with calories, fat and sodium that, in excessive amounts, may cause high blood pressure, heart disease, heart attack, stroke, kidney problems, osteoporosis and even stomach cancer.
Sweet potatoes are especially good for diabetics as well as those who are at risk of diabetes. That’s because they help maintain normal sugar blood levels. Sweet potatoes keep the pace of digestion steady, thanks to its fiber content. Because of this, spikes in blood sugar levels that worsen or trigger diabetes are avoided.
Since they are packed with fiber, consuming them helps in regulating the bowel movement. The importance of including sufficient amounts of fiber in the diet cannot be stressed enough. It helps in flushing out toxins that have accumulated within, as well as fat molecules before they get oxidized and end up deposited in the walls of the arteries. Fiber also helps ward off constipation — that annoying condition which leaves you feeling bloated, gassy, cranky and fatigued, and makes it challenging to empty the bowels.
If you’re geared up to whip us the winningest baked sweet potatoes on the planet, read on!
- A couple of large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
These are all the ingredients you will ever need to surprise your loved ones with baked sweet potatoes that can outshine any other chips at the local supermarket that are bad for the health in all sorts of ways.
- Sharp knife
- Large bowl
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Serving platter
Now that you have the very short list of ingredients and readily available materials, it’s time to get started with making baked sweet potatoes that can make you a world-class chef in the eyes of your family and friends.
- Get the oven preheated to 375 degrees.
- While waiting for the oven to heat up to the desired temperature, wash and peel your sweet potatoes.
- Slice them thinly.
- Transfer the sliced sweet potatoes into a large bowl.
- Add in the coconut oil, rosemary and sea salt. Toss to distribute all of the ingredients equally.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes on the lined baking sheet and toss in the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes then flip over the chips. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Pull out the chips that are getting browned and place on the serving platter.
- Serve and delight your loved ones!