Our nails are often exposed to water, dirt, dust, and other environmental factors that they can become dull and brittle when not taken care of. Having strong, healthy nails are important as they can make you look more well groomed especially when facing other people, plus you don’t have to deal with cracking nails that can snag unexpectedly causing you pain. Fortunately, maintaining your nails shouldn’t be too difficult at all because there are plenty of home remedies that you can use to make them grow strong and healthy.
- Tomatoes. When This it comes to strengthening your nails, you should start with tomatoes as they are rich in vitamins A and C as well as biotin which play important roles in healthy nails, hair, and skin. You can drink some organic tomato juice in the morning or add more slices of tomatoes in your salads to absorb the nutrients that this vegetable comes with.
- Olive oil. Soaking your nails in olive oil is another home remedy that can strengthen your nails. Let your nails get a good soak for about 10 minutes before rinsing. This remedy should be done once a day for an entire month to see positive results.
- Horsetail. Herbs like horsetail are also worth considering when it comes to strengthening one’s nails as they pack quite a lot of essential vitamins that are essential for better nail growth. To make this tea, simply steep ½ to 1 teaspoon of horsetail in a cup filled with boiling water. Let the herb steep for 10 minutes or so then add some honey to sweeten the taste.
- Orange juice. Another home remedy for stronger nails is using orange juice to soak your nails in. To start, fill a small bowl with orange juice then soak your nails in it for 10 minutes. This will help deliver antioxidants in your nails to encourage healthy growth. Make sure that you rinse your hands and nails thoroughly in order to remove any acid in your nails. Apply moisturizer on your hands to nourish them afterwards.
- Tea tree oil and vitamin E. To further strengthen your nails, combining tea tree oil with vitamin E is one way to do this. You will need to add a few drops of tea tree oil to the oil gathered from a vitamin E capsule then apply them onto your nail beds. Let the oil soak right through to help nourish your nails. Both tea tree oil and vitamin E have compounds that can promote better nail growth.
- Apple cider vinegar. Brittle nails or nails with discoloration can be treated using apple cider vinegar. You only need to soak your nails in this solution for a few minutes every day to see them go back to their natural state. ACV contains acids as well as nutrients that can treat bacterial infection in the nail bed while at the same time boost nail growth. You will notice that the discoloration will gradually disappear and that your nails won’t easily break after soaking in apple cider vinegar.
- Beer. This might sound like an odd thing to use for your nails but it does work amazingly in terms of strengthening one’s nails. If you are going to take a closer look at beer, you will find that it contains minerals that can strengthen and nourish your nails. You will need to mix 2 parts of beer with 1 part apple cider vinegar, and 1 part warm olive oil then soak your nails in them for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse afterwards. This remedy should be done 1 to 2 times per week for better results.