It may be a bit strange to hear that you can use Epsom salt bath to lose weight when it is usually used to relieve muscle pains. Surprisingly, it can also be an effective treatment for reducing weight and soreness. One reason why people gain weight is due to the excessive toxins in their body. Epsom salt is known to contain magnesium and sulfate which can help treat minor hurts as well as eliminate toxins.
Using Epsom Salt to Reduce Weight
Adding a tablespoon of Epsom salt to your bath water daily can help you lose weight. You should start with a tablespoon then increase the amount to 2 cups. If you begin with 2 cups of this salt, you might become irritable, hyperactive and even have mood swings. Add a few drops of essential oils to add fragrance to your bath water. Take note, however, that adding other ingredients like oil can reduce the effect of the Epsom salt bath. If you add Epsom salt to mineral water, it can effectively heal pain in the muscles. This kind of bath is also known as a detox bath because it eliminates toxins and excess water from your body. Also, those who take Epsom salt baths feel no stress afterwards.
Soaking in Epsom salt eliminates the toxin from your skin in the form of sweat as soon as the water begins to cool down. You can add baking soda or vinegar to get the most out of your bath. Make sure that you drink lots of water afterwards to replenish lost water during your detox bath.
Experts suggest that using this bath regularly can help you lose weight fast while others recommend that you take Epsom salt bath not more than 3 to 4 times per week. Consult with your physician on how much Epsom salt baths to take.
Types of Epsom Salt Baths
1. Baking soda.
Add two cups of baking soda and Epsom salt to your bathing water. Gently rub your body using soft sponge to help clean toxins from your body.
2. Vinegar bath.
You should follow the ratio 2:1 when adding apple cider vinegar as well as Epsom salt in your bath. Soak in the bath water for 40 minutes. More than getting rid of excess weight, you’ll also find relief from muscle stress and pain in the joints.
3. Ginger and Epsom salt.
Adding ginger to Epsom salt can help your pores to open up. As your pores open up, the more toxins that get eliminated. Some suggest the use of hot water to make this treatment work better. Just add 2 tablespoons of crushed ginger in the hot water plus 2 cups of Epsom salt. Soak for 30 minutes.
To get the best results, use the ingredients alternatively. For those who are suffering from diabetes, heart problems, and even high blood pressure, avoid detox bath.
Other Uses of Epsom Salt
Aside from weight loss, Epsom salt can help get rid of other health problems. Below are the different uses of Epsom salt.
- Epsom salt is an anti-inflammatory agent which can help relieve the irritation from sunburn. You can make a spray out of it to treat irritation and itching. Just add 2 tablespoons of this salt in a cup of water, mix it properly, and pour in a spray bottle. Spray on itchy or irritated areas.
- Dry lips can also be treated with Epsom salt. Add some to petroleum jelly then rub your lips with it gently. This will help get rid of the dry skin and make your lips healthy and smooth.
- Epsom salt bath can help you beat back flu or colds. It can boost your immune system while at the same time treat body ache and making your muscles relax. It also helps increase your white blood cells to combat infection.
- Rough skin can be treated with Epsom salt because it can exfoliate naturally. You only need to add Epsom salt in soapy, warm water during pedicure.
- Epsom salt can also be used to clean facial pores. Just add 1 ½ teaspoon of this salt with your cleansing cream then apply gently on the skin before rinsing off with water.
- When it comes to deep exfoliation, you will need Epsom salt. You only need to add 2 cups of this salt in petroleum jelly then add a few drops of lavender essential oil for fragrance before applying to the skin.
- Adding Epsom salt to your bath water can help strengthen your muscles and it makes them healthy too.
- Soaking your feet in Epsom salt solution can treat foot or toe fungus, foot odor, as well as joint pain.
- Taking Epsom salt bath can help you sleep well.
- Epsom salt can do wonders when you develop rashes from poison ivy. Add Epsom salt to water then dip a clean washcloth before placing it in areas that are affected by poison ivy.
- Swelling due to a minor splinter can be relieved by mixing Epsom salt in a cup of water. Just soak a cotton ball then apply it on the swelling.
- Bee stings can be treated using Epsom salt. Mix two tablespoons of Epsom salt in a cup of water, wet a washcloth or cotton ball with it then apply to the swelling.
- Epsom salt is also handy when it comes to bug bites. Again, add two tablespoons of this salt to water then apply on the areas affected.
- You can clean the tiles at your home using this salt. Just mix Epsom salt with your liquid dish wash, scrub the walls and tiles then rinse.
- Oily hair can be treated with Epsom salt by using it like your conditioner. Apply it on your hair and leave it for 20 minutes before rinsing.