Getting lean abs doesn’t happen overnight and it will take more than doing hundreds of sit ups, planks, and the like to achieve those buns of steel. According to fitness and health experts, if you want to reveal a well-toned midsection, you also need to pay attention to what you are eating. Just think about it. The kinds of food that we normally eat can either add more calories and fats to our already bulging tummy or they can help speed up our metabolism to prevent fats from clinging to our body. There is no doubt that choosing the right kinds of food is integral to your goal of achieving a leaner and toned tummy.
For those who are wondering which foods should they add to their diet, here are some of the recommended choices for you.
- Broccoli. Broccoli is quite a popular choice for those who want to lose weight as it is low in calorie content but high in fiber. The fiber in this vegetable helps fill our stomachs while giving our digestive system a boost. You can add it in your salads, stews, soups, or even stir fry if you like.
- Lean poultry. Another food choice that comes highly recommended is to eat lean poultry as the protein that poultry contain can help increase your satiety so you won’t be eating more in between meals. What’s more, when you eat lean cuts of chicken and turkey regularly, you are actually burning more calories while your food is being digested.
- Apples. Adding fruits to your diet is actually a smart move because they contain nutrients that your body needs in order to function well. Take for example apples. Apples are good for keeping the fat off your midsection because of the presence of polyphenols which are a type of antioxidant found in this fruit. What this antioxidant does is that it prevents fat from clinging to your body so you will not bulk up.
- Lentils. There is no denying that lentils, seeds, and nuts are effective when it comes to revealing leaner abs. Having these foods in your diet every week can help you reduce weight including lowering your bad cholesterol. You can add them in your salads if you like to quickly absorb their numerous health benefits.
- Chilli peppers. What else should you add to your diet to get leaner abs? How about some chilli peppers? What makes them a good addition to your diet is the fact that they contain capsaicin which can speed up your metabolism. Other health benefits include better heart health, improved mood, and good digestion.
- Oatmeal. Oatmeal is high in carbohydrates but the fiber present slows down the release of sugar which means that you will have a steady energy level throughout the day. The fiber in oatmeal is a soluble fiber which can reduce your risk of heart disease. Another plus to eating oatmeal is that it also has protein in it which is important if you want to achieve leaner abs.
- Sweet potatoes. Another option to add to your diet to achieve leaner abs is sweet potatoes. Unlike your regular potato, which can cause your insulin level to spike, sweet potatoes will keep it balanced. Eating sweet potatoes ensures that there are no fats adhering to your body so that it will be easier for you to tone your abs.
These are just a few examples of foods that can help you achieve leaner and well-toned abs in the long run. Regardless of whether you eat them regularly or two to three times a week, you can help speed up the process of improving your abdominal muscles.