What is a Guyabano?
Guyabanos are a heart shaped fruit, it has a green spiky appearance. When opened guyabano has a white and creamy texture. It has a delicious taste that can be compared to a hybrid of a pineapple and strawberry. It has a citrus sour taste yet pungent, sweet aftertaste. Guyabanos are known in the Phillippines as a good protection from parasites. There has been no study to prove this theory, but guyabanos are full of healthy goodies. They are full of vitamins, minerals and health benefits.
If the taste of the guyabano isn’t enough to make you love it, then here is ten more reasons to start loving this yummy fruit.
- Prevents constipation – Guyyabanos are high in fiber, it promotes regular bowel movements and helps prevent colon cancer.
- Urinary Track Infection Prevention – Guyabanos are rich in Vitamin C. This vitamin is known to boost immunity, but did you know it can prevent UTI? Vitamin C increases the acidity level in the urine and this stops bacteria that is present in the urinary track.
- Prevents leg cramps – People who lack potassium often get cramps or muscle weakness. Guyabanos are rich in potassium, another food that is rich in potassium is bananas.
- Prevent migraines – Guyabanos contain riboflavin.High intake of this is known to prevent headaches.
- Energy Booster – Need an energy boost? Try Guyabanos! The thiamin in guyabanos are known to release and produce energy.
- Pregnancy Complications – Guyabanos are abundant in folate. A study has shown that pregnant women who took folate had a lower risk of complications. Women who lack the nutrients needed during pregnancy are prone to birth defects and miscarriage.
- Healthy Bones – This fruit is full of vitamins and mineral that help in getting healthy bones. Guyabanos contain calcium, copper, zinc, vitamin D, magnesium and manganese. All of these
- Prevents Bloating – Women who suffer from bloating every month should consider consuming guyabanos. The magnesium content of these fruits prevents water retention and bloating.
- Increase Good Cholesterol Levels – foods that have niacin are known to surge good cholesterol levels. Guyabano is a good source or niacin.
- Prevent Anemia – people who suffer from anemia, lack healthy red blood cells in their system. To counter this they will need Iron to generate new healthy red blood cells. Iron is present in guyabanos.
*Guyabanos are high in sugar and eating too much can cause Parkinson’s disease because of its annonacin content.