There is no denying that soy milk is a highly nutritious drink. More and more people are getting their hands on soy milk because of the numerous advantages it has over cow’s milk. While it’s trouble-free to purchase a bottle of it at your favorite supermarket or convenience store, did you know that it is really easy to make your own soy milk at home?
Using your own hands in coming up with freshly-made soy milk comes with an assortment for perks. For instance, you can rest assured that the beverage you will be drinking contains nothing that can ruin your health, such as tons of sugar, and synthetic flavorings, colorings and preservatives.
Making your own soy milk also helps expand your culinary know-how. It allows you to surprise your family and friends that the tasty and nutritious beverage they are enjoying is the product of your own time and effort. You may also make homemade soy as an extra source of income as well as for spreading good health!
Here’s the recipe that will yield about 2 liters of homemade soy milk:
- 1 cup of raw soybeans
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 11 cups of water
- Measuring cup
- Large bowl
- Piece of cheesecloth
- Large stainless steel pot
- Wooden spoon
- In a large bowl, place your soybeans. Add 2 cups of water. See to it that all the soybeans are covered with water.
- Allow your soybeans to soak in water for about 8 hours. It is a good idea to let them soak overnight to make blending the soybeans easier. Add some water if the soybeans are no longer covered with water.
- Transfer the contents of the bowl in a blender. Add 4 cups of water. Blend until everything is smooth.
- Place a large bowl on the sink. Line it with clean cheesecloth.
- Transfer the contents of the blender into the cheesecloth-lined large bowl.
- Gather all the corners of the cheesecloth and carefully and slowly lift it. Using your other hand, squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
- Transfer the liquid into a large stainless steel pot.
- Put the pulp in the cheesecloth back into the blender. Add 3 cups of water. Blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Repeat steps 4, 5, 6 and 7.
- Once again, place the pulp in the blender. Add 2 cups of water, bringing the total amount of water used to 11 cups. Blend until the texture is smooth.
- Perform steps 4, 5, 6 and 7 one more time.
- Place your large stainless steel pot on a stove. Using medium heat, bring its contents to a boil.
- While waiting for it to boil, use a wooden spoon to stir the liquid to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Once already boiling, turn the heat to low. Use your wooden spoon to remove as much foam on the top as you can. Let it boil for another 2 to 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Turn off the heat and add 1/4 cup of sugar. You may add less of it, depending on your preference. However, refrain from adding a lot because your goal is to enjoy a healthy beverage.
- You may also add some natural flavoring which you can easily buy at a local cooking specialty store. Some excellent examples include strawberry, blueberry, honey and vanilla. Adding some flavor will make your homemade soy milk highly loved by kids.
- Allow your soy milk to cool to room temperature. Transfer to a large clean container and stash it in the refrigerator to keep it fresh.