Women, as they age, are prone to skin damage brought by pollution, sun exposure and everyday stress. These factors contribute to rapid skin aging. To delay aging, you should prioritize right skin care especially at night and it should be given utmost importance.
In a study at the University of California-Irvine, researchers reveal that new skin cells grow faster while at sleep. Therefore, proper skin caring before bedtime should be observed and practiced at all times.
Why it is important to observe proper skin care at night? Skin repairs itself during this time because night time skin caring is about repairing and rebuilding. Unlike daytime skin caring, night time skin care regimen has no makeup, sunscreen, dirt and pollution to counteract active products and block pores. In addition, this is the perfect time to include anti-aging product in the routine. Research shows including AHAs, retinoids and vitamin C to skin care habits are powerful in diminishing appearance of wrinkles.
Here is the suggested night skincare regimen for a more beautiful, younger you.
Cleanse. Remove all makeup and dirt accumulation for the day.
- Skin experts reveal that going overnight without washing your face makes you lose out your chance to resolve target problems like cell repair. Did you know that at night there is a great blood supply to the skin and a number of different metabolic processes going on? Hence, wash your face properly.
- You can use cleansing facial brush along with gentle face cleanser in lukewarm water to remove dirt and oil. Don’t overdo it. If you have sensitive skin, use fragrance-free and hypoallergenic cleansers. Prevent clogged pores by using noncomedogenic wash.
Have a soothing facial mask.
- Getting a facial mask is beneficial for opening pores so that the active ingredients easily penetrate and absorb into the skin. Some masks offer aromatherapy, so putting it on gives a soothing relief especially after having a busy day at work. Relax and reap the benefits of facial mask.
- After cleansing your face, pat it dry and apply a small amount of retinoid all over the face. Retinoid works to brighten and heal the skin. It is also good in reducing clogged pores, evening out skin tone and promoting collagen production that is beneficial for the skin.
- Night exfoliation allows redness on skin to return to its normal color. However, retinoid particularly the prescription ones often dries the skin. So, after putting retinoid, apply a layer of face moisturizer.
Moisturize your face and neck.
- Moisturizing at night helps replenish skin’s much needed moisture, a must for skin regeneration. Use night cream. The difference between day and night cream is that the former is lighter in consistency and has sunscreen protection. Meanwhile, night cream may not feel or aesthetically appealing but they make the skin soft and supple.
- In purchasing a night cream, read the labels. Look for antioxidants, peptides, and vitamins C and A to help repair the damages your skin incurred for the day.
Don’t forget your eyes.
- Include putting eye cream into your night skincare regimen. This is a simple way to keep your youthful-looking appearance as it protects and hydrates the delicate skin of the eye. Opt for eye creams with caffeine because they help diminish eyes’ puffiness. Meanwhile, eye creams with niacinamide offers moisture levels, keeping the skin from drying out and delaying the appearance of fine lines around the eye area
- You know how vital is sleep in keeping your skin’s health. Don’t ignore this important skin tip. Your skin repairs itself from the damage and stress it incurred during the day. At night, cells are renewed, resulting to improved texture and tone. This makes your skin appear and feel better. Skin rejuvenation is at its best during sleep. Likewise, having enough sleep time stimulates the production of human growth hormone (HGH), adding strength and elasticity to skin
- On the other hand, not getting sufficient sleep leads to increased level of cortisol, a hormone that is shown to have damaging effects on skin.