Loaded with beta carotene, delicata squash helps the body get the vitamin A it needs for healthy peepers and sharp vision. This nutrient is also important for bone development and reproduction. In addition, delicata squash is a good source of the minerals potassium and magnesium, both of which are necessary for heart health.
That is why serving stuffed delicata squash is not only good for the taste buds but also your overall well-being. The following recipe allows you to whip up this delectable and nutritious treat that serves two people. Also, bulgur replaces half of the ground beef to increase the dietary fiber content and reduce the amount of saturated fat.
1 small delicata squash, cut in half and seeded
4 oz lean beef, ground
1/4 cup of bulgur
1/4 cup yogurt, plain and non-fat or low-fat
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon of chili powder
2 teaspoons of pepitas, toasted
3 teaspoons of olive oil, divided into two
1/2 cup of water
1/4 teaspoon of salt, divided into two
- Get started by preheating your oven to 425 °F.
- While waiting for that to happen, brush olive oil on the cut sides of your delicata squash. Sprinkle with a little salt then place in a small baking pan facedown.
- Place the halved delicata squash in the oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until they are tender and the edges are already browned.
- While waiting for your delicata squash to get cooked in the oven, prepare your stuffing by starting with your bulgur. Add it to half-a-cup of water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let it simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone. Drain very well afterwards and set aside.
- Grab a skillet and place it over medium heat. Add some olive oil and saute your onions until they’re translucent. Throw in your ground beef and chili powder, then sprinkle some salt. Use a spatula to break down the meat. Constantly stir for 3 to 5 minutes or until the beef bits are brown.
- Add in your cooked bulgur into the mix and stir. Allow to cook for a minute, remove from heat and stir in your yogurt.
- Flip your baked delicata squash halves and place about 3/4 cup of the filling on each one of them. Before serving, garnish with toasted pepitas.