Identifying your skin type is essential to treating the skin problem. Proper skin care starts from knowing the root source of the problem, is your skin oily, dry, sensitive, normal or combination? Each skin type has a specific characteristic that needs different forms of skin care and ingredients for treatment.
You can easily determine your skin type with a simple facial or paper test. Wipe a piece of tissue or paper on your face as soon as you wake up. If you have oily skin the paper will have traces of oil. Dry skin will not leave any residue on the paper, but the skin will appear and feel flaky and dry. Normal skin will leave no residue on the skin, but will feel moisturized and healthy in the morning. Combination skin type will leave some residue on the tissue, but will only have some oily areas on the skin or dry patches. Sensitive skin can be determined without the paper test, this skin type is sensitive to environmental factors and chemicals.
Here are some great DIY face mask for each skin type:
1. Normal Skin
This skin type is the least problematic skin type and appear smooth and healthy. This skin type requires very little skin care or treatment and will still look great as you age. Using a face mask that will help keep the skin balance is needed.
- Milk and Avocado – Half cup of raw milk and half mashed avocado mixed together can help keep skin nourished.
2. Dry Skin
Dry Skin is prone to premature aging and a sallow tone. Applying moisturizer is a must and keeping up a regular beauty regiment can alter the skin type.
- Honey and avocado – Half an avocado mashed with half a tablespoon of honey can help moisturize dry skin
3. Oily Skin
Oily skin is a problematic skin type, it is prone to break outs and appear greasy. The plus side to oily skin is that, you are less prone to premature aging and flaky skin. Removing excess grease on the skin and pores are essential for this type of skin type.
- Banana, honey and lemon facial mask – Create a paste or cream with a teaspoon of lemon, 2 tablespoons of honey and one mashed up banana. Use this mixture on oily parts of the face, especially the T-zone
4. Combination Skin
Combination skin, usually has an oily T-zone and normal to dry skin. Different type of treatments should be used for specific areas. Dry areas should be treated with moisturizers and oily areas should be treated with thorough cleaning.
- Apply DIY facial mask for dry skin on dry areas and DIY facial mask for oily skin on oily areas to balance out the skin levels.
5. Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin is usually dry and irritated easily. This type of skin develops scaly and reddish areas that are prone to breakouts and itchiness. This is the most problematic skin type and should be handled with care. Very special treatments are needed for this skin type and consult a medical professional before
- Oatmeal, honey and aloe Vera – Mix 2 tablespoons of aloe Vera, 2 teaspoons honey and ¼ cup oatmeal and apply on the face. Rinse with warm water.
Keep your skin in top condition and try out these DIY face mask for yourself!